Spiriva Inhaler

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with COPD on Monday and prescribed Spiriva Inhaler. This morning when inhaling capsule I felt nothing was coming out so tried another one. Has anyone had this happen as now worried I might have double dosed?? Also I get waking headaches and more clearing of throat after taking inhaler, is this normal ? Thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

As long as the capsule vibrates as you breathe in you will be OK.  I usually breathe in through the HandiHaler twice just to make sure the capsule has emptied.  If you feel like checking the spent capsule just pull it apart to see if it is empty.

Are you in the UK?  If so, the NHS has been recommended not to prescribe Spiriva because of the expense.  Mine was changed a couple of months ago to Braltus, which delivers the same medication but is cheaper.

Just for the record I took Spiriva for ten years and never felt as if I was breathing anything in but did get a dry throat occasionally.

• Posted

Just felt air this morning on first one and no rattle.  If on 10 years you must find it good. Hope your new med is just as good.  I live in Ireland and Spiriva covered on medical card. Will just have to get used to taking as doc said will prob be on 'forever'!!

• Posted

There are other medications for COPD so I doubt if Spiriva will be "forever"!!

Ten years ago the recommended treatment was Seretide plus tiotropium (Spiriva is tiotropium).  Recent research found that Seretide contributed to chest infection so now the recommended treatment for COPD is a combination inhaler such as Trimbow or Anoro Ellipta.  I tried both of these.  Anoro Ellipta left me tired and Trimbow was OK but I was put off both of them because a common side-effect these two is urinary tract infection.  As I have prostate problems I decided to go back to tiotropium with a steroid component.  So, after all this trial and error I'm on Seretide plus Braltus.  Seretide is no longer recommended for the NHS because of the expense so I've been told I will be put onto a cheaper replacement as soon as I'm sure that Braltus is working as well as Spiriva did.

I've found that the best thing to do is to work with your GP or COPD nurse to find a medication regime that suits you.  That will leave everybody happy!

• Posted

I'm sure I will be switched around at some stage, not sure of Spiriva will suit as voice gone croaky since taking and don't think it has fully kicked in, though early days I suppose.

• Posted

i have been on spiriva ever since it was approved. fyi,,,spiiva now available  for respimat 1.25 mg and 2.5 mg
    • Posted

Thanks Morty, have been on for 5 days.  Did it take awhile to kick in initially? Doctor prescribed inhaler so will have to stick to that for a while.  
  • Posted

You are clearing your throat to cough up all that gunk out. Theres a vid on youtube on how to use your inhaler with a capsule. Shake it for 10 secs before using is what it said.
    • Posted

Thank you Sweetbee I will have a look on Youtube.  Haven't been shaking capsule but will try.  So inhaler is loosening gunk, that's good to know.  Don't have much mucus though.

• Posted

Thank you Sweetbee I will have a look on Youtube.  Haven't been shaking capsule but will try.  So inhaler is loosening gunk, that's good to know.  Don't have much mucus though.

• Posted

There is no need to shake the capsule!  The whole point of the design is that the HandiHaler pierces a hole in both the top and the bottom of the capsule.  The act of inhaling vibrates the capsule so that the dry powder is shaken out and breathed into the lungs.  Maybe the Respimat version is different but I wouldn't have thought so.  Just stick to the instructions in the Patient Information Leaflet whichever inhaler you use.

• Posted

If you open a capsule you will see that there is very little powder in it. About the size of one third of a match head, so it's not often you feel that anything is coming out. Please stop worrying, it may take a short while before you feel any benefit. You were only diagnosed 4 days ago and I bet you have done 4 years worth of UNNESSARY worrying since then. You are in Ireland, be Irish, none of my Irish relations worry.

• Posted

Haha very true David, I should be more Irish about it 😊. I have been worrying a while but nothing like since diagnosis. Good to hear you have Irish connections.

• Posted

From Galway and very laid back. Seriously though mild copd is really liveable with and not a reason to worry about. I was relieved when the doctor told me that I had copd and not something else beginning with C.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.