spiriva - insomnia, dry mouth

Posted , 10 users are following.

anyone else suffer from severe insomnia?  i attribute this to the spiriva and will stop taking this drug for 30 days and see what happens.  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nadine, I am on Spiriva and also Surdupla, both of these have dry mouth as a side effect. My doctor has given me Salivix which stimulates the salivar gland. With regards insomnia, I wake up every hour until 5am, from then I force myself to stay in bed until 6am. One good thing I get my chores done early so can please myself the rest of the day xxxx
  • Posted

I've been on spiriva for around 5 years now and never had any problems with sleeping. Mind you, my mam used to say I could sleep on a clothes line - loved my naps and still do when I get the chance.
  • Posted

Hi the first symptom of my depression returning was chronic insomnia.  I didn't take spiriva then so I don't know if there is a connection.  Have you looked up the side effects?

I don't think it is wise to just stop taking it if it has been prescribed you so why don't you have a chat with your doctor first and see what s/he thinks?  x

• Posted

Hi ,like you have insomnia ,but as I take my spireva in the morning I haven't attributed it to the spireva,I have found out that if I ,,,,,switch off the tv ,,,or put down the iPad ,,,or book ,,,and settle down around 11pm I'm not too bad , ,,,give it a try ,I always remember someone telling me ,,,,an hours sleep before midnight is the best sleep and remedy for insomnia,,,,but sometimes ,,,,,I just can't put my book down ,,,,and suffer the consequences.
  • Posted

I take Spiriva and have severe insomnia too but I also take mine as soon as I get up each morning so I never made the connection either. I wake up every hour or two as well....I can easily just stay up all night. So is it from the Spiriva?? I really hate not sleeping well bc sleep is so necessary to healing and good health and I also have lymphedema so I often have to put my legs up and chill and it drives me nutts bc i will fall asleep but wake up in an hour or two feeling rested or just wanting to get up. I'm supposed to have a sleep study test soon and I don't know how I'm gonna do it bc it will be so hard to sleep or stay asleep. No one has even mentioned Spiriva to me...please keep us posted. I'd love to know what u find out.
    • Posted

i began taking spiriva in june.  the symptoms began about a month later.  my husband read the complete insert that comes with the spiriva,  listing the side-effects,  etc.  insomnia is listed,  but is quite rare.  i asked my doctor, she says spiriva did not cause insomnia, it was too rare.  she suggested i see a therapist for the insomnia,  i had my first visit with therapist.  he asked the meds that i was taking,  i told him and then he asked "when do you take the spiriva?"  i said 8:00 a.m. "why do you ask?"  "Spiriva can cause insomnia in some cases"  -especially if taken at night"  the next day i call my pharmicist and asked if spiriva causes insomnia ,  she said,  "yes" , i asked if it mattered what time of day.  she said that you could still have effects of spiriva, so i currently had my dr. take me off the spiriva for at least 30 days so it is completely depleted from my body.

• Posted

Yeah, but now that I think about it....I was having sleeping issues before I began Spiriva. I just chalked it up to getting older or having to have my legs elevated and only being able to sleep on one side bc of the leg....I dont
    • Posted

I star having terrible insomnia the day I started spiriva.  I was also on prednisone which can give me that but not to that intensitiy!  Up til 4 or 5 in the morning. after taking it at 9 am earlier in the day.  At first I could not find an association b ut googled Spirit and insomnia and am finding some.  Did not take it this am.  Am hopeful.  Good luck to you.
  • Posted

I've been using Spiriva for three years and have never experienced insomnia as a result:  dry mouth yes, and sometimes splits at the corners of my mouth for the first few months.

I don't reckon you'd need 30 days off it to see if your unwanted negative effects go away or not, a week would probably be enough, but that's of course up to you.

• Posted

Hi Nadine (and everyone else), 

some positive results from the use of Spiriva.  Maybe try some Biotene for dry mouth:  

Study results:  

https://medicalresearch.com/author-interviews/tiotropium-spiriva-found-beneficial-in-early-stages-of-copd/36757/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-copd-early-treatment/drug-may-slow-early-lung-disease-damage-idUSKCN1BH31M

Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.