Spirometry

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just looked up the letter my wife received following her appointment with the consultant.Her spirometry shows an FEV1 of 1.4(78% predicted) and her ratio is 70%. This exaxtly how it is shown in the letter. Can anyone please translate.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Did uour consultant not give you a diagnosis.

The fev1 is 2% lower than whats classed as normal 80% -100%. The fev1/fvc is 70% spot on the borderline of abnornal that figure is 70%. Some would say that it is below the lower limits of normal. The results read by a doctor would indicate mild copd.

• Posted

If your wife has a COPD diagnosis, the ratio of 70% is moderate, in accordance with NICE guidelines (UK)

• Posted

The fev1/fvc ratio was 70% not the fev1 that was 78%. So its mild infact very mild. If his wife had used a bronchodilator which she may of which he doesnt mention she could of got better results. The doctor or nurse would then say the results are normal.
    • Posted

Of course we are not doctors and if I have misunderstood Brilliard,

apologies I was going on the patient UK data which reads:  (scroll down to COPD heading)

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) classification of the severity of COPD:Stage 1 - mild: 80% or above (symptoms should be present to diagnose COPD in people with mild airflow obstruction).

Stage 2 - moderate: 50-79%.

Stage 3 - severe: 30-49%.

Stage 4 - very severe: below 30% (or FEV1 less than 50% but with respiratory failure).

https://patient.info/doctor/spirometry-pro

Of course if you don't have a COPD diagnosis you really should go back to your wife's doctor for an explanation, and ask what this means.;  Even with a COPD diagnosis going back to your doctor for explanation would also be recommended.  To be clear about your wife's results.

Best wishes V

• Posted

I agree people on here are here yo help and pass on there knowledge but you need to get a professionsals take on this.
    • Posted

Every time I've had a spirometry test I was asked if I'd used any inhalers that day ..... obviously they're designed to improve breathing so would skew the results
    • Posted

Im assuming thst this id her first visit for a spirometry theres normally a pre btonchodilator test and a bronchodilator test this could dismiss asthma.
    • Posted

I agree Brilliard does need to get a medical professional's explanation of his test results to be sure he is given the most accurate information.  
  • Posted

I can't tanslate that in formal medical terms, your wife should discuss this with her gp, but those figures probably indicate early stage COPD, which is great, because the earlier she gets the appropriate medication sorted out and gets herself to rehab the slower the condition will progress.

I was diagnosed at 70% lung function nearly 4 years ago, started rehab almost immediately, still do the specific exercises and when last tested lung function was still the same.

• Posted

The consultants letter has a diagnosis of mild to moderare COPD.She told us at the clinic COPD is an umbrella term for emcompassing both emphysema and bronchitis so her condition gets a medical label of COPD.The reason I posed this question was because both of us have no idea wha her spirometry results mean in terrms of the stage of COPD she is at.Sorry if I have caused confusion.
    • Posted

Hi again. Your wife had a basic spirometry test you must go back and ask for a full lungfunction test this is more in depty and would distinguish between emmphysema and bronchitis. You and the doctor will then have dome base results from when first diagnosed. You can then tell if the regime of medication, diet and exervise is working to maintain your wifes lung function. She may or may no be s smoker but if she is she must stop. Unless your doctor has some other results that you haven't printed. This resultsyou stated mskes her early stage mild. Fev1 of 78% is only 2% below whats classed as abnormal. 70% fev/fvc is bang on the borderline. As I said insist on a full lung function. The doctors wont automatically request it because of the cost.
    • Posted

"Mild to moderate" IS the stage of COPD.  What's more important than the labels is getting on to the appropriate medication and getting to rehab
    • Posted

Ps AND stopping smoking if she smokes and staying away from all airborne pollution as much as possible, including other people's cigarette smoke

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.