Spirometry results!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello guys.

So I got my results, kind of. I actually never got them in hand, but she did tell me a value, 83%. Now, I don't think this is the FEV1?

She said that my lung function was exemplary for someone my age(26, male). And that I was a bit above average even. So where is this 83% coming from?

My best guess is that it's the FEV1/FVC ratio?

Lemme know what you guys think,

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi you are right that's not your FEV1 otherwise you would have been diagnosed with copd!   The only way to know is to ask her or your doctor.  But if she tells you that there is no problem and you are above average why bother?   Just accept you are healthy and be grateful nothing is wrong. 

• Posted

I never know the FEV1/FEVC ratio stuff i only care about when i get the percentage of how well my lungs are doing. mines was 76% which is ok i guess but wish it was 83% id be over the moon. It has fell as low as 37% when i got bad last year and couldnt do much at all that was scarey and didnt know if would go bk up but when it did to 76% i was so happy

• Posted

Your Fev1 is 83% of normal. In other words, you fall within normal on a bell curve. Take care of your lungs. You got a B+ on your test. LOL. Protect them from dust, contaminants, and toxins and they should go the distance. 
  • Posted

The 83% is the figure from the FEV1/FVC ie the Predicted value for someone of your height and age. There are different scales however, "Cotes" , "Oxford Journal" & NHS, which use different criteria. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.