spirometry results

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi all i have copd and my last spirometry was good which im really happy about although im really breathless and struggle daily  since the spirometry test  my gp refuses to give me steriods for flare ups and  i have had three since nov last year i have also  been coughing up little bits of blood for the past year or so i tell my gp but he doesnt even answer me ,since january i have had to have two lots of antibiotics  just finished a 10 day course and im still coughing day and night i just dont know what else i can do ,i asked my gp last week shall i double up on my steroid inhaler he said if i want to ,another thing is when you have spirometry test do you have a clip put on your nose ive also developed a pain in my lung but its not worth going to my gp because hes not interested any advice would be most welcome .

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Billy, i have same trouble, i had stabbing pains in my chest so went to hospital and, waited 4 hours and when i finally got seen they said i had wind.I had a clip put on my nose and was put in a glass cube . Billy all i can say is try your hospital. Can i ask how many time you get checked a year for your c,o,p,d. thanks
    • Posted

Susan, here in the States we don't need multiple checks for COPD annually. If you've got it, you've got it. Some of us go years without repeating spirometry, just doing them over when there's an obvious change. I hadn't had one for many years, then asked for one last February. After getting pneumonia for the 1st time in the summer, I knew my lungs were worse & pushed my gp for a repeat. I was right, down 8% in one aspect. Have been sick off & on ever since, 6 rounds of ABs, one hospitalization ,,, and I'm relieved that the pulmo doesn't want PFTs right now because they're so exhausting.

• Posted

hi susan im checked yearly here in the uk ,dont know if you are in uk but theres a big thing about going to hospital they dont want you to go in unless youre at deaths door so its really difficult .
    • Posted

Hi Billy i live in South Shields, near Newcastle, and i have been to every doctor there is and all of them are crap, When i had my last test i was singed off and told i do not have to go back. Some times i think to my self have i got c.o.p.d or is it some thing eles, thanks Billy 
    • Posted

yes susan i often think is this all in my head i cant breath yet spirometry reads ok cant get my head around it all, then in the last month been told i now have atrial fibrillation after being taken to hospital and told there was nothing wrong with me ,because the episode stopped by the time i got there and now  have to take beta blockers im terified to take them i take lots of different medication and side affects of beta blockers is bronchospasm i cant breath as it is ,and no follow up with cardiologist  to discuss my worries, cardiologist signs me off after seeing me once told to wear heart monitor for week but doubt it would show any thing but it did after being turfed out of hospital in the middle of the night sorry for my rant its over now ,im in wales and watching gp behind closed doors i thought england had a better time of it  and i said to my husband  i think we should move to england those gps are excellent in england ha ha i hope you get all the answers you need soon too susan its no joke is it .
    • Posted

Billy, I have a suggestion: When your breathing feels diminished, check your pulse. Time it out for a full minute. Write it down in a log even if your pulse is 72. At a certain point which varies by person's age & other health issues, A-fib affects breathing. Since your docs are not responsive, you and your husband will have to do some of their work for them. If your A-fib comes & goes it may be hard to punch down. (I had a 45-miner

• Posted

(I had a 45 minute session at 188+ beat pulse and it took 5 months & 3 or 4 different monitors before the electrophysiologist could pinpoint the type of A-fib). So you've got 2 problems impairing breathing to sort out. You might also note un that log what you were doing immediately before you felt the problem. Many of us get a racing heart from our lung meds, so especially note if this happens right after you use inhalers. But other things can also set off A-fib: I've learned not to lift things a certain way with my arms because doing so always sends my heart well about 150. Not so for my ex.

Good luck on all this & remember: everybody here knows what jerks docs can be, just as we know it's not in your head.

• Posted

aitarg35939 than you so much for your advice will definately be doing the checks on my pulse and writing a log to record it may i ask you do you take bisoporol for your af and can you cope with them having copd also also thank you so much for your kind words at the end of the message much apreciated .
    • Posted

No Billy, I don't take any meds for my Afib. Mine is a kind that doesn't respond well to meds. There's a surgery but I won't do that unless things get much worse ,,, or unless the electrophysiologist tells me this week that I'll have it because my lungs are worse & so are my new nebulizer meds.

I just thought of something else for your pulse log: If possible re-check 10 & 20 minutes later. Wouldn't hurt to drink some calmative &/or tension tamer herbal tea in between, and if you can stand to makethe tea with milk (obviously not boiled) and add some honey, all the better.

Those teas are one thing I do for an elevated pulse. I was also taught the Vagal Maneuver by the electrophysiologist, and Nine Turns (sometimes "9 Slow Turns"wink which is from Healing Chi Gong. I'm one of those folks who senses increases in heart rate so I start checking at 100. If it doesn't come down soon on it's own, I start the maneuvers. BUT: I don't know if these maneuvers work on all kinds of Afib. The Chinese Gong one definitely won't hurt but check online to see if the Vagal Maneuver is safe for all kinds of Afib.

So other than adding Honeybush, Tension Tamer & Chamomile teas plus the maneuvers to my arsenal, I also seriously limit caffeine consumption. Most cardiologists here will never mention that, mainly because they pay for annual months in Tahiti with unnecessary cardioversions. But my electrophysiologist is quite clear on this point.

I'm not mentioning exercise because you definitely need clearance for that now that you've got both heart & lung problems.

Keep your chin up, toots. It ain't over yet!

• Posted

Thank you for your very informative reply i will certainly try some of the things you mentioned aitarg and also for the kind words much apreciated .
  • Posted

Vee is so right: take care of the flares & infections. My lungs are damaged just from ignoring an exacerbation which then got pneumonia piled on top, followed by inflammation below brand-new bronchiectasis. Get a pulmonologist.

• Posted

Please find another GP.    You must have one that you like and trust and doesn't ignore what you tell him/her!  

• Posted

hi pam there are only 3 drs in my practice so my choice is limited ,two i see reguarly and one who is new so  my choice is limited i am seriously thinking of changing drs but the one i will move to would be much further away than my present one and as neither i or my husband drive it would make things a little difficult .  
    • Posted

billy235, it does make it difficult when you don't drive.  you really need to see a Pulmonary Doctor to get the help you need with this disease.  Good luck.  🙏🙏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.