Spironolactone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well I'm an 18 yo girl, and my doctor gave me Spironolactone 100 mg and some other pills for sever acne, after viewing my blood test.

I know that spiro has an effect similar to estrogen (or perhaps increases its production in the body, I don't know), and other than acne, it also stores up fat in breasts and hips and thighs. Well my question is, can I undo these effects by diet and exercise? Because I just hate to look too feminine, and will my muscles shrink? Should I lower the dosage? Can I use some estrogen-blockers to avoid this? (if yes, please recommend what to use) Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I doubt whether the drug will have any of those effects coz if they did you would have been told about them. Why not ring your doctor and get your mind put at rest.  Or if you are in the UK ask your pharmacist as they are very knowledgeable about drugs.

You would be better off to see a dermatologist rather than a general doctor as they are experts in skin conditions and know all the latest treatments.  x

• Posted

I was on Spironolactone & I hated it. It lowered my libido. Spiro main use is for people with heart problems but studies show it works for acne. How so? Well I was given Spiro due to the fact I have hormonal imbalance. (i havent done an actual test, but I know my body & done extensive research) Spiro works by blocking Androgen (The male hormone). Yes, women have testosterone, some have higher levels of it. So it suppose to help. A main way you can tell is because hormonal imbalance gives it away. For ex, painful, inflamed cystic acne around the jawline (where men grow beards). It works for some, but that didnt work for me. Ive been on every antibiotic for acne, & accutane. But my acne always comes back. Still finding a solution, the natural way. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.