spironolactone for acne / extreme anxiety

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was given an RX for this medication for my hormonal acne. At the time i was 23 years old, Within a week of taking this medication I started having horrible anxiety that soon turned into uncontrollable panic attacks. These were so frequent sometimes 3 times a day that I become suicidal. This medication has quite literally ruined my life. I told the doctor who proscribed the RX and they told me it wasn't from the medication and to keep taking it. So I listened and keep taking it. I started seeing a therapist and she asked me if i was on any medication . I told her i was only taking spironolactone that was prescribed to me. She informed me of the horrible side effects this can have on someone mental health and recommended i stop my treatment immediately. Around a month after being off this medication my panic attacks were less frequent maybe once every 3/4 days that lead to every 5 days to every other week to now maybe once or twice a month. slowly I've gotten better but I'm 25 years old and still feeling the effects, this also have given me really frequent heart palpitations. If you don't already know, most doctors are given incentives for handing out certain medications, makes sense why this doctor was adamant about this medication not being the issue despite multiple pages of people on here and other platforms experiencing the same hard ships. If you are proscribed this and experiencing the same things, listen to your body and find a doc that will find you an alternative.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.