Spitz Nevus and Melanoma in Adult

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All! Recently had a “normal” looking papule removed and it turns out that it was a spitz nevus that had some “abnormal cells”. My dermatologist said she wanted to go back and do a larger excision. Has anyone ever had a spitz nevus removed and gotten a melanoma diagnosis? Just wondering how serious this could be???!!!! Thanks!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've never heard of it changing to a melanoma diagnosis. I think your Doctor is just being cautious and she seems to be doing the right thing by removing more skin.  

• Posted

From what I've read online, it seems like if you have a spitz nevi as an adult, it's "automatically" melanoma.  Or that these spitz nevi so closely resemble melanoma pathologically, that it's hard to make an accurate diagnosis.  I would *hate* for it to be labeled a spitz nevi and it actually turn out to be melanoma down the road.  Thanks!

• Posted

Yes I  was told if left that it could, mine was right next to where I had a Melanoma removed. if she goes back and gets all the margins clear your ok, best to do more to keep it from spreading, and be sure to get your check ups, mine was every three months now I go every six months.
    • Posted

Thanks for that info! I’m glad you had yours removed and it was not malignant! I’ve never had anything removed, let alone malignant (thank God!). And yes....I totally agree with you....better safe than sorry!! smile
    • Posted

They got all of mine clear with just the biopsy, its not as bad, you'll do fine, little peroxide on it and vaseline ,bandaid  wash with dial soap, once or twice a day, heals it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.