Spleen size of 13.2cm should I be worried?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently had an ultrasound to check my kidneys and was found to have a mildly enlarged spleen at 13.2cm. My doctors have told me not to worry as this is just outside the normal range but I am VERY worried.I am male aged 57.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

A normal spleen typically weighs 150 grams (5.3 oz) in an adult and spans about 11 cm (4.3 inches) vertically in its longest dimension. Yours seem to be little more than a set limit. However, the spleen can enlarge by performing its normal functions in response to another medical condition. This can be due to several reasons. Most commonly, the spleen enlarges as it serves its normal role in helping "filter" the blood of antibodies, etc. that are helping fight off infection. Typically, enlarged spleens are treated by addressing the underlying problem. If you have suffered any infection recently or suffering with any liver disease, or blood disease and other common infections, it is likely that you are experiencing a physiologic increase in your spleen size to help it perform its function better. In this case, the spleen will slowly return to normal size, though this may take a few weeks.
  • Posted

Thanks for the helpful replies. I am very worried about the larger spleen on ultrasound at 13.2cm meaning I have a lymphoma of some sort. My GP says I have nothing to worry about as this old have shown up on blood tests. I simply have no idea.
  • Posted

HI there

I have had a spleen scan as I have a small problem with my Liver. I really would not worry to much as your spleen could be naturally that size anyway. Unless they have done a scan on your Spleen before for comparisson, the fact that they say it is mildly enlarged doesn't really mean anything as that what they said mine was, and I am fine. So please please do not worry.

• Posted

I recently had a CT scan that showed my spleen is 16cm enlarged. I have cerousis of the liver and now have liver cancer. Isthis why it's enlarged? Shouldn't I be worried about this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.