Splenic flexure pain

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi all. I have been suffering with pain in upper left abdomen below the ribs for 7 months now. I've had loads of tests and nothing has come back showing anything. Had faecal calprotectin test done and that was normal so the docs have not done an endoscopy. Sometimes the pain ramps up to where I can constantly feel it and I can agrivate it with movement such as twisting or stretching Other times it just rumbles along and I hardly notice it but it's always there. Do any of you guys ever get this?

The best way that I can explain the location of the pain is like this. Make a fist with your left hand and place it half way down your left rib line just underneath. Where your little finger rests is where the pain is mostly. I does travel about a little bit but it's mostly there. This normal for ibs?

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think the appendix is on the RHS, although you could ask your GP if it could be something like that.

My ibs is just passing wind, i have to take a lot of medications and that upsets the lining of my tummy. I would go back and ask for further tests

BOB

Report Reply
  • Posted

This is so weird as I have a similar thing. It's not so much a pain but more of an awareness about something not right in that exact same place. It feels like a knot or a blockage or something, can't quite explain it. When I was under the hospital for my IBS under a gastroenterologist, I mentioned it to him and he wasn't interested in it at all. I'm sure it's connected to my IBS and it seems to be aggravated there when I have a bad flare up. It also feels tender to touch at times. Years after, I was discharged from the hospital after various tests, I was just diagnosed with IBS. The weird thing is though, I went to see a psychic medium (I know!), who not only mentioned my IBS but also said it isn't and pointed to the area saying it's a hernia. Obviously I didn't do anything about what she said incase people thought I was crazy. I have never come across another person with this pain who has IBS.

Report Reply
  • Posted

This is a very common pain with IBS or with gastritis. I have had it on and off for 8 years.. When I have a flare up of either condition, it is bad. I have had so many tests but it is important to rule other things out. Do you have any other symptoms--ie--nausea, diarrhea,etc?
    Report Reply
    • Posted

Yeah. I have lots of symptoms but I'm not sure if some of them are related to the anxiety and stress of the last 7 months. Diarrhea in the morning. Sometimes loose but not firm. Gas, burping. Sometimes bloating. My most worrying symptom is fatigue and weakness. That's that I am putting down to the stress And anxiety. I just feel wiped out all the time.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I've been having pain in my left like what you describe for about a year.  I've had an endoscopy, multiple cat scans, ultra sounds and nothing has been found.  Doc suggested it may be an issue with my splenic flexure... the problem I have is.. the pain moves... mostly on the left but at times right in the center of my abdomen but never the right.  I sometimes can't tell if I'm in pain or hungry.  I've lost 36 lbs since it started... mostly due to not eating as much.  I've not have much diarrhea.. but seems I have constipation a lot.  doc said I should follow a low FODMAP diet.. ( boy is that hard ) and I just started that yesterday... it will take a few days/weeks for that to present any relief, if any.  I'm so uncomfortable and bloated all the time... I feel like someone has inflated a balloon in my stomach.  

Report Reply
    • Posted

My husband has this same feeling. He says often it feels like the feeling of being very very hungry. Same spot. Sometimes he can feel it in his back. He's had numerous ultrasounds, endoscopy, colonoscopy, MRI, blood tests etc... and what have they found? One tiny cyst on his left kidney that they say is not causing this. They say it's IBS now because he is having loose bm's but I don't buy it. It's been 7 yrs.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi leigh sorry to hear you are going through this...Well your symptoms quite look like IBS...well if you are feeling fatigued then you should get checked for your vitamins level if you are not taking them especially vitamin d level....And gut and mind are closely connected and both can affect each other...so try to reduce your anxiety to calm down your stomach..
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I have the exact same symptoms as your husband, in addition to "brain fog" and feeling "poisoned" for a few days after eating certain foods. I've gotten diagnoses that don't seem quite right, including IBS and "functional bowel disorder."

I get very hungry, like my stomach is telling me to eat or else that sore spot is going to get very irritated, and I can feel it in my back and it tingles and twitches. I have a tendency to overeat because of it even though I am underweight. After overeating the feeling doesn't really get better.

I've had this for 20 years or so. I improved a few times when taking antibiotics for other reasons e.g. sinus infection, and it was like a miracle. But it didn't last. A couple weeks later it would come back and become chronic again.

I'm on a very limited diet now. Desperate for info. Is it simply gastritis? Who knows at this point...

Report Reply
  • Posted

I too have had these symptoms of pain in the left just under the ribs and into the back. Sever fatigue, muscle spasms in the mid torso area (abdominal area) a couple of days go by and I start to think all is going on the mend and then it all flares up again and seems to start like a knot in my left back area and just left of my belly button area. Gas, bloating, pressure throughout my body, heartburn, shortness of breath. Most of these symptoms I contribute to the bloating. I have tried diets of all kinds and now forcing myself to strengthen my bodies core. I've had an MRI, endoscopy, immunology Dr., colonoscopy, stool test, several blood test. I've seen a couple of regular family mds, functional medicine Drs, 2 Gastrointestinal Drs, acupuncturist, chiropractors due to the pain threw to the back pain and them thinking it's referred pain from degenerative disc disorder. The medical field has mentioned fibromyalgia, acid reflux, DDD, gallstones, repetitive back injury, and even mold in the work place. Pancreatic enzymes taken for undigested foods and then an ERCP which showed no issues with the pancreas only several small gallstones. Sorry this is so long. I've been trying to find out why this is happening to my body for over 2 years now. Good luck all. May you all have good health.. let me know if anybody finds out anything I will keep an eye on this post.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I hv same symptoms since last 5 months. Done all tests of Thoracic & Abdomen. But All Normal. Now taking Acidity tab. on direction of Doctor but no significant relief. I hv pain on left side just below & left of nipple area. I am puzzled since last 5 months. Its constant dull pain except sleep. Any one hv similar prob?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I too have had these same symptoms. I feel it most, if not all of the day. I get relief when I sleep. The strange thing that I have noticed is that is tends to be more intense during my monthly cycle. 

I also have pain in my upper mid back that spans across my entire back. 

I have an appointment on Friday with a new general practioner.  Hoping to find out more information then or at least start the process of elimination. 

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New Discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.