Split molar, is extraction my only option?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I would be most grateful for some urgent advice please.

I have a molar that has split / cracked from back to front (horizontally if you follow my gum line).

My dentist has taken an X-ray and advised that she cannot actually see the split / crack on the X-ray (because its horizontal I would guess) its definitely cracked though, the filling has fallen out and I can feel the crack with my tongue.

My dentist has ONLY given me the option of extracting the tooth, my basic understanding is that a root canal to save the tooth may be an option if the crack is not too bad.

Can anyone advise a next step please? How can I try and save my tooth? The prospect of extraction and then bridge etc does nit appeal at all.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It seems like a cap would save your tooth, but I'm no expert.  I would suggest a second opinion. 

• Posted

I had a cracked molar and they reshaped it and stuck a crown on it.  No root canal.  I have 3 cracked teeth but only one was bad enough to need fixed.  The dentist said it could crack completely in 2 days, 2 mos or 2 yeas but it was going to happen and then the tooth couldn't be saved.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.