Split nail

Posted , 4 users are following.

My right thumb nail gets a ridge starting from the cuticle, twice before it has stopped half way up but this 3rd timeeit has gone all the way to top of the nail and has split about a quarter of the way back down.

My doctor took a plc and sent it to an "expert" who also took a pic and sent me a letter saying it was "median nail dystrophy of Heller" and that it was caused by constant picking at the nail base, which I have never done, and psychiatric help should be sought !!!!!

IHas anyone out there had the same problem and found a cure ??

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rita - Just spotted your post.  This is exactly how my Lichen Planus of the nails started.  Took a while to get a correct diagnosis and, unfortunately for me, none of the treatment has worked and I have lost most of my nails for life.  Get a second opinion quickly.
  • Posted

Yes, I have a white vertical line on the top of my index finger nail that runs from my cuticle to the end of the nail. On the underside of the nail where the line is, there is something growing out of the nail bed. It grows as my nail grows. I usually keep it cut off but I decided to let it grow to get a picture. The nail splits where the line is then gets caught on things and tears off the nail on one side of the split into the quick. It is between hard and soft to touch. I wish I could upload a picture.
    • Posted

This does sound like lichen planus and you need to get it checked out.  I attach a photo of my nails some months ago - they are now considerably worse.
  • Posted

The nail condition on my finger is similar but not quite the same. Here is a picture of the growth.  Did your nail look like this in the beginning?
  • Posted

Hi Rita,

i have nail nail ridges and my thumbs are really very much like you describe. 

Mineis from heavy metal toxic overload from metal on metal implant for hip. A heavy metal blood test cane show the results of metal in your blood. Many docs don't think of this unless a implant is envolved. It can also be from foods, air with toxic metal we breathe and even filling in our teeth. 

When end my nail starts to split I will cut down as far to the end as possible file smooth and put super glue over it and keep hands out of soaps that contain sodium laural sulfate and other harmful chemicals used to clean in the home. Wear gloves to protect fingers and hands while cleaning, or doing anything that can create a problem with nails . Always keep clear polish to protect nails. 

Mabe be this will work for you too! 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.