Split second loss of vision, like a quick blink.

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello, as in the title, I was reaching up earlier to pull a tack out of the ceiling, and I experienced a very quick loss of vision, like a very fast blink, I can only describe it as a light flickering during a storm.

I don't get migraines, I had an eye test about 3 months ago and there were no problems, I'm a bit short sighted but that's about it.

I've never had it before, I don't really get any problems such as overactive floaters. I do sometimes see a tiny speck of blue light, but that's not often, and slight flashes now and again were mention to the optician.

I'm wondering if it's something I need to revisit the optician about? I also suffer from anxiety so this is something I will probably worry about.

3 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I know this is a old post I was curious if you ever get to the bottom of the problem you was suffering from and what the cause was. Hope your well.
  • Edited

hi hi hi,

i don't know if you will ever see this but i know exactly what you are talking about and it happens to me. its like a flutter and a quick loss of vision for a split of a second and then youre eyes have to refocus on whatever you were doing. for me this would happen once every 2 months and recently its been happening every day. kind of freaking out now, did you ever figure out what it is?

thanks,

• Posted

Hello, never had a medical answer to this, eye tests and visits to the doctors all fine and never happened again since!

Strange!

• Posted

Hello, I am also experiencing the same thing , It's like a blink that you have not driven. I have had pupils dilated so to check the back of the eyes and eye tests just waiting for a field eye test .

May I ask if anyone got to the bottom of this at all please ?

• Posted

Hello, I know this is an old post - but this has pin pointed exactly what I am experiencing . Split second loss of vision just like a blink . I have had eye tests etc etc ... Please may I ask if anyone found out what it is at all . Thanks .

• Posted

Hello, I know this is an old post - but I am experiencing the same thing - Split second loss of vision just like a blink - had eye tests etc etc .. please may I ask if anyone had an progress on what is disturbance is please ? Thanks .

• Posted

When you say flash was it like the lights went out?

• Posted

Hello , Thanks for answering - yes it is just for a slit second . did you ever find find out what it is at all ?

• Posted

Hi Debbie same here, how are you doing? Did it got better? Hope you can answer, I'm a very anxious person and I think that might be the problem for me, but not sure yet

• Edited

Hi bro, I have the exact same problem.

How are you doing? I'm a very anxious person as well, I thought it was amaurosis fugax but it seems that if I'm calm I don't get the "blink".

Hope you can answer or reach me.

There's always a good feeling of knowing that you're not alone in a problem

• Edited

*** For anyone still scouring this section for information, I'm sorry to say that neither I have anything regarding the aforementioned issue. I'm looking for answers as well. If I find anything out, I will post it here. ***

Hello!

I was interesting in checking in - to see how you are doing nowadays and if you ever found answers to your questions regarding the impairment? Did you ever have the same experience since then? Or did you find a solution?

I'm very intrigued as I just had the same occurrence happen to me. Actually, I've had this very thing since I was a child, but I've just brushed it off as it never happened too often (maybe once every two months or something like that). Perhaps it should be noted that I'm 21 years old. Recently however, the very same thing happened - on multiple occasions. When it happens, it feels almost exactly like blinking, although I am 100% certain I'm not. It does however last for about a millisecond longer than a blink - like the lights around me flicker to black for a very short moment. Short, but long enough for me to know it's not me blinking.

Two days ago it happened at least ten times in one day. I found it very alarming and was even trying to come to terms with going blind. I find it usually happening to me when I sit still in a specific position for long periods of time (in front of a computer) or when I strain my neck in a certain way when working with something. I have found a temporary solution being practicing improved posture. The common issue "Forward head posture (FHP)" which is a condition many are suffering from nowadays, sitting at computers day in and day out. This solution however, doesn't necessarily solve my condition - it only makes the occurrence happen less often; when I'm not bending my neck forward.

I only guessed it could have been linked to the nerves that connect the eyes to the brain. That somehow these nerves get cramped up by the discs in my spine in certain locations, hence not being able to recognize the light entering my retina. This is only my own speculation however and I've yet to talk to a doctor that knows anything about it.

If you have any information regarding the issue and would like to share your information, I would be most grateful! 😃

Have a wonderful day!

• Posted

Hi - just curious if you have gotten any answers to this? I am experiencing something similar. Thanks!

• Posted

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone is still interested in my response. I had a similar situation last year. Every morning, I would wake up and open my eyes, but it was total darkness for around a second or more. After this short pause of darkness, my vision would be totally restored. Occasionally, it would happen in the middle of the day, just walking along, for seemingly no reason. I went to the doctor for my annual check up later that month and found out I was woefully deficient in Vitamin K. I started taking Vitamin K2 (sublingual) supplements and the problem went away after about a week and a half. I hope that helps.

• Posted

I know I created this thread in 2016, but just to confirm with everyone, this has never happened again since, my eyesight hasn't deteriorated nor did I have a satisfactory medical explanation from either a GP or optician.

A very strange situation indeed, but it was never a symptom nor start of any other condition.

• Posted

Quick second loss of vision is called papilledema. The pressure build up in the brain may increase which cause the optic nerve to swell. It is always best to get it tested.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.