Split second loss of vision, like a quick blink.

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello, as in the title, I was reaching up earlier to pull a tack out of the ceiling, and I experienced a very quick loss of vision, like a very fast blink, I can only describe it as a light flickering during a storm.

I don't get migraines, I had an eye test about 3 months ago and there were no problems, I'm a bit short sighted but that's about it.

I've never had it before, I don't really get any problems such as overactive floaters. I do sometimes see a tiny speck of blue light, but that's not often, and slight flashes now and again were mention to the optician.

I'm wondering if it's something I need to revisit the optician about? I also suffer from anxiety so this is something I will probably worry about.

3 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If say go, if nothing more then to put your mind at ease.I have anxiety also and i know it would keep bugging me if i didnt check it out.
    • Posted

Thanks Lee. I've made arrangements to get it checked out and will hopefully post some findings here soon. Anxiety has reduced a lot, just the immediate panic attack kept me from doing anything other than worry and fuss. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Been to the GP. He found it strange, but sent me for blood tests as my blood pressure is high, I have to go back next week to talk about my tests. He said my eyes look fine and normal, he would be more concerned about my brain activity rather than my eyes with this instance.
    • Posted

Good sounds like your GP is doing the right things and is on the case. Hopefully anything serious will be ruled out and you can relax soon.
  • Posted

Is it happening all the time or only once?

If only once, I wouldnlt worry, especially as your eyes have been checked recently and you got c lean bill of health.

hen things liek this repeat themselves then it's time to head to the professionals.

but if your anxiety is eased with a visit to the G, make your appointment and go.

As for that dreaded anxiety... for the long term, try meditation.... it's watchful breathing...

For the short term, deep breathing into a paper bag is said to help releive immediate symptoms, though I've never tried it myself.

i wish you well.

• Posted

Oops - excuse all the typos!

I forgot to read this over.

That's supposed to read: 'if your anxiety is eased with a visit to the GP'

• Posted

Thank you, only the once, if it happens often I'll push for a referral. My blood pressure is up so my GP thinks that is related. I have to go back next week to talk about blood results. Will post here too. Thanks for the reply smile
  • Posted

I know this is an old post but I was curious to know if you ever got to the root cause of it? I've been having the EXACT same symptoms and it's happened at least three time by now so it's really starting to concern me sad

I recently started a new job so my insurance won't kick in for another month therefore I'm unable to see a doctor at the moment. I should add that I also suffer from chronic anxiety so this is driving my anxiety through the roof...

I would truly appreciate your response, and I hope you're doing well by now

• Posted

Same here man thought mine happens everything I remember about it so have you gotten any leads
  • Posted

Hey did you ever find out what was the cause of this? I also get these vision flickers but its always when the back if my head is facing an artificial light source and it never happens outside.

I got my eyes looked at and theyre fine rolleyes

• Posted

I went therough something very similar, i was sitting through a chem class i believe when suddenly i blacked out for a split second but i dont believe this could be a medical reason because my friend and I both experienced this simultaneously(at the same time every time.) and for a good long period of time i.e we had several of these over a month. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.