splitting a pill

Posted , 3 users are following.

I purchased magnesium Oxide tabs but the pill is 500mg and i feel it's too much cos I read that the recomended daily dose is 300mg 

can i split the pill in half and obtain 250mg a day ? is it correct to get half the dose from splitting a pill 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Because it's about the most precious thing of all, your health, it's best to talk to a pharmacist or doctor first. Would be interesting to see what they say.
  • Posted

Yeah that should be no problem unless it make sharp edges and makes it hard to swallow could get stuck in your throat or scratch you I would just give it away and go by the right stuff I wouldn't go over 300 milligrams and really unless you're deficient in it you don't really need to take that much anyway unless you're doing it to try and move your bowels and that I think that would be magnesium citrate but could irritate your stomach
    • Posted

ur right im gonna give up the idea 

I'm not sure if i'm deficite cos i didn't test 

i wanted it to regulate my bowel and I'm not sure if it's working cos it's not giving me diarrhea or any bowel movement 

• Posted

well there's more than one type of magnesium read up on all of them make sure you're taking the right one for your condition when it gets too diarrhea then it's too high of those
    • Posted

Meant to say too high of a dose if it gets to diarrhea
    • Posted

well it didn't get to diarrhea but to be honest I feel the stools are not hard any more it's day 2 and i feel they are giving some effects 

I'm  just gonna take them for a week and stop 

they say magnesium Citrate is harsh on the bowels i mean a heavy laxative 

and i don't want that i just want something that'll make stools less hard and 

I've been using lactulose and it seriously works wonders it breaks down all the stools without causing me diarrhea and all gases escape but i don't wanna get used to it 

• Posted

I never heard of lactolus is it a prescription or over-the-counter. You're also right about the citrate I tried it a long time ago and was very harsh on my stomach so it sounds like you are on the right track I might try thr la lactulose
    • Posted

its over the counter really cheap and effective aswel it attracts water from the body to the bowel this will break all the lumpy stools and cause gas to escape through the body i'm 24 the pharmacist told me to take 30ml  i take it once a day before sleep so when i wake up i feel wow but at times when i feel fine like im not constipated which is rare i don't take it
    • Posted

you can look into it's content cos a Dr prescribed it to my 6 year old sister so it's safe for kids so it won't be harmful for adults
    • Posted

I can't get it over the counter I live in the US are you in the uk so I will get a script for it started looking into what else it can treat one thing that caught my eye was hepatic encephalopathy which kind of to go along with what I'm experiencing thanks for your help
    • Posted

nop im not in the UK 

and i can get it over the counter without a script sorry 

check out Duphalax it's the same as lactulose this one is defenatly over the counter  

• Posted

Where are you getting it Over the counter at Walgreens, CVS, or a private Pharmacy
    • Posted

I read magnesium glycinate doesnt have the laxative effect like some other.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.