Splitting dose between night and morning

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone any experience woth splitting there prednisolone - say 3.5 mg in the morning and 3.5 mg in the evening. I have minimal pain in the afternoons but horrible pain in the mornings. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I split mine but I take 80% at 2am and 20% at 6pm. It stopped my morning pain but I still get pain in the late evening. I think I could stop the evening pain if I changed to 70-30, maybe.
    • Posted

Thanks I’m going to try 2mg  at 4 and then 5mg at 8ish
  • Posted

I've been on a split dose for over a year now and have had to make a couple adjustments along the way.  Currently I take 7mg at 7 am and 3mg at 11 pm.  I used to take the evening dose earlier but had to adjust and take it later to keep the morning pain down.  I'm sure I'll hit more bumps along the way and will have to adjust times sooner or later, especially as I keep gradually reducing.

• Posted

Yes I have been splitting my dose for a long time.  You need to experiment to find the best times for you and the best split.  Usually one third, two thirds ish  works for me.   I do 2mg after my evening meal and 5mg around 4am after a ramekin of natural yoghurt and have no pain at all.  If you still have pain, maybe your dose is not quite high enough.
    • Posted

Excellent I’ll try that tonight and let you know how it goes. Thanks so much
  • Posted

The morning pain is normal for anyone for whom the antiinflammatory effects doesn;t last a full 24 hours - it varies between 12 and 36 hours depending on the person. The new batch of inflammatory substances is shed in the body about 4.30am. Many people take about 2/3 of their dose in the morning and the rest about 2 hours before they expect the pain to return if it is later in the day. When they are fine until they go to bed and it is just a morning problem, the sooner after 4.30am you take it the less inflammation has been created and the less the dose has to do. Many wake early, take their pred dose and settle down for another couple of hours in bed until the pred has started to work. The optimal time to take the pred to minimise any morning pain and stiffness is 2am. But everyone is a bit different and you do have to experiment a bit with amounts and times. 
    • Posted

Thanks again. Diana also recommend about the same so I’ll try 2mg at around 4ish and then 5 mg at 8-9ish cheers
  • Posted

I am on 20 mg per day right now. If I take it all in the morning as directed when I wake up next morning the pain is unbearable.  I decided on my own to take 10 in morning and 10 at night. I keep it at every 12 hours and that works for me. Doctor explained there is a medical reason to take it all at once. Understanding that I still take it every 12 hours because this way the pain is minimal. I will be starting to taper soon. After all the posts I have read I am going to take it slow. 
    • Posted

Soooooooo happy split my dose 2mg at 3am and 5 mg at 9 am. Pain is 1 or less. Have had the most fantastic day. Did cleaning this am and not a lot this arvo. Still feeling great. Thanks to all who replied to me. This forum had been a Godsend. Xxxx
    • Posted

Yippeeeee..that's excellent news.   Don't go rushing around and overdoing things though or it will come back to bite you!

• Posted

Leef, I agree I do not know where I would be if not for this forum. A little over a year ago, when I was down, EileenH and others got me moving. Thank God, ☺️
  • Posted

Hi leef, as I said earlier, play around with how you split the dosage. I seem to feel best on 65-70% in morning and the rest at bedtime. We are all different and react differently, therefore I think we have to play around to get the best results. Think positive you will get it. ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.