Splitting dose of citalopram- any thoughts?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm gutted that my GP has advised me to increase the dose of my citalopram from 20mg to 30mg. I had awful side effects on starting up and when I increased to 20mg.

My GP said some people take their usual dose at night which I already do and take the other 10mg in a morning. Has anyone found this helps minimise side effects or is it better to just take the whole.lot at night and get on with it?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes this works as you need to break up the dose so you feel more vital throughout the day.

You can actually split the dose up more if preferred although your GP has suggested your 20mg in the evening befor bed and your 10mg in the morning, you could, if you find it better to take the 10mg at teabreak in the morning or at lunch time depending how you feel, if your side effects seem less at different times.

I have not been on the 30mg of the drug so you may get someone on here that can advise as well.

As long as you take your full dose, 30mg within the 24 hour day.

BOB

• Posted

UP Date: so today was the first day I split my pill took 20 in the morning at 10 at 6pm, knock on wood but it has been a pretty good day had a bit of anxiety this morning before my pill, but after that I was fine even had an appetite all day smile and kids were back at school today home alone all day and was fine, let's hope this continues smile smile hope u guys are all having a wonderful sleep.

• Posted

Well done you!! I will message you later on facebook to see how you're doing now it's 12 hours later. Just going to pick kids up! Am a bit better today, no diazepam yet and it's 3pm but still have what I'm calling anxiety flashes now, they sort of come and go over thoughts I.e. A guy was stabbed to death a couple of miles from where I live over the weekend and I suddenly had that thought in my head and got all anxious again, only for a minute or so but I don't know why. I should feel sad for him not anxious! Very odd x

• Posted

Hi. I've been taking citrolopam 20 mg in the morning for the last 18 years. The only problem I have is if I miss the dose I get a bad headache late in the day.

Lately I have been having anxiety attacks due to new job. I'm thinking of taking another 10 mg at bed time but will that help with my anxiety during the day at work?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.