Splitting low dose of prednisone?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone tried splitting your doses of prednisone if you are on a total daily dose of say 5 mgs or less?

I am thinking of trying 1 mg in the evening and 3 mgs in the early morning (about 4-4:30 am when I wake up) or maybe 2 mgs am and pm. 

Thanks -

0 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am down to 4 mg now which I split and take am and pm usually 6 o clock. I put each dose into an enteric coated capsule. Have just tried a drop to 3.5 with 1 mg evening and 2.5 mg morning but had too much pain and have gone back to 4 mg.On my next attempt as the pain lessens I shall try 1.5 and  2 to see if that is better. It just gets quite fiddly cutting the tiny tablets!
    • Posted

Maybe 4mg is "your" dose - it is very low and associated with few side effects so is not much to worry about. Going slow now is particularly important - to let your adrenal glands wake up and function again.

• Posted

Hi Whisper, I've been working down to 3 mg myself.  Now I'm quite certain the the low intensity light therapy really does help.  I've been going every two weeks (having worked down from twice a week for most of the winter).  And I usually find by the time I go back I'm ready to raise my dose of pred.  But after the treatment I'm much better.  It takes a couple of days to fully feel the benefit.  And that lasts a few days.  I suspect once a week or every ten days might be a more optimum space between treatments, but we are still working on figuring it out.  It has, really and truly, got me to this level.  I might have got here anyway, but I know it would have taken months longer.  It's a lot more expensive in dollars than pred, but far more beneficial to my total physical well-being as it comes with no side effects.  

If curious, google low intensity light therapy toronto

• Posted

Whisper I'm so glad to hear from you - your dose is about the same as mine.  I think I have a quiet couple of weeks coming up so I hope to try splitting my dose then. I know what you mean about cutting the little pills, and mine don't have an indention so sometimes they don't split cleanly. Good thing they are cheap!

• Posted

If you are going to try splitting - make sure you take a normal morning dose on one day and then the new evening dose (whatever it is going to be) the same day then start the 2-stage dose the next. Otherwise you may have a very uncomfortable day the first day as the morning dose will be relatively much lower than usual.
    • Posted

Thank you for this suggestion but have not found this any where near where I live. 

I do have a Chinese lady treat me with a whole body acupressure treatment once a week and she monitors my reductions depending on how she finds my system is doing. She has allowed me to reduce much quicker than before and without the Leflunomide that my rheumy wants me on!

I saw her on Tuesday and she did say I was rushing the drops in Pred and to wait another 2 weeks. I'm just too impatient I think.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen. I think you are right. I'm just in too much of a rush!

• Posted

Good luck with your trial. I must admit that I found it easier to cut the 5 mg in half. Hence my failed attempt at 1 mg and 2.5 mg per day. I like to take the easy option but it didn't pay off this time! I will persevere with trying to cut the 1 mg in future.

• Posted

Are they slightly rounded on the circular surfaces? If so, someone recommended a way of halving tablets without scores (sorry, can't acknowledge them as I have no idea which forum it was on!):

Put the tablet onto a hard flat surface. Place your thumbs on opposite sides of the tablet and press down really firmly. It will break in half.

It works for some pretty small tablets I take. I have no idea what UK pred tablets are like - I only ever had enteric coated and they are not to be cut.

• Posted

See my post to MrsCJ about breaking tablets.

The low light laser therapy Anhaga describes is only available in (at most) 3 locations in the UK, London (I think), Bristol and somewhere in the Midlands. It is also fairly pricey and not covered by the NHS so without private insurance you would pay the entire price yourself.

Yes - patience, patience. patience!!!!

• Posted

Acupressure sounds interesting.  Glad you've found it helpful.

• Posted

Mine is only covered because my physio is covered by our private insurance.  It's not part of the government medicare.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.