Splitting Mirtazapine tablets in half??? 15mg.....is this ok to Do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone split 15mg mirtazapine tabs in half?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Lots of people on this site have split them When they are weaning down. If that's your reason for doing this then it's ok.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Pat, I was off the mirtazapine for 7weeks but the doctor stopped them at 15mg cold turkey. I done 7weeks of hell with insomnia and generally feeling unwell but they never told me about weaning off them so that explains it so this time I will gradually come down until I'm off again and hope for a better outcome this time

• Posted

As post 1 says yes it is the first step to getting off the horrible drug. You can buy a tablet splitter at the chemist but used a Stanley knife blade and then split the pill in half  again.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Bob, and yes it is a horrible drug to come off. I've had hell Try I g to get off them. I just wondered if splitting them would work out as odd measures instead of accurate doses

• Posted

Yes, you can use a pill cutter, but as you titer down, the dose will become more difficult to accurately measure.  I would suggest a schedule as follows:  15 mg -->  7.5 mg --> 3.75 mg --> 1.875 mg and then discontinue.  Some on this board may disagree with me and tell you to take no more than a 10% reduction.  My view (again some may disagree) is one factor may have to do with how long you have been on the drug.  If you have been on the drug for more than a few months, then you should take it slow.  Another option is to have your pills converted into liquid, which is easier to titer the dose more accurately with a syringe.  You could take your pills to a compounding pharmacy and they could either convert to liquid or make smaller dose tablets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.