spondylitis...Starting to get a First time father down.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I have a bilateral L5 pars defect with a grade 1-2 listhesis. I have tried all different types of anti-inflammatories as well as injections. None have improved  my daily discomfort. 

I am a 34 year old male, that's very active and work as a personal trainer. My discomfort has now become very severe. 

I am quite worried about having the operation and I was wondering IF you have come across many people that have had the surgery and how have they found their daily life post op? 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards. 

Gareth. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had/have a grade 2 spondylithesis ("have" because it doesn't go away) of L5 on the sacrum.  They found it >35 years ago and debated, hemmed and hawed about having surgery.  2 years later, it slipped to a grade 2.5 and decided it was too unstable to let it go.  I had five surgeries before I got a solid fusion (they'd only planned on 2, others were because of complications).  I believe now a days they use screws, etc? but mine was without hardware.  I was in a body cast and on total, absolute bed rest for 6 months (No getting up, no showers, no toliet, etc.). Quite difficult.  But the following 5 or so years, I got married and had 2 kids... life was good.  I worked full time and had a pretty uneventful life.  I wasn't without pain, but it wasn't bad.  Then it crept up on me, the pain and resulting difficulties.  7 years ago I became totally disabled, they said "failed back syndrome".  Had to retire and began the daily struggle of life with pain.  My back x-rays and MRI looked terrible, "of course you have pain, your back looks terrible!"  It wasn't till this past summer that I was diagnosed with AS. I'm 60 years old..

I think it was AS that caused my initial troubles 35 years ago.  Had I been treated then for AS (what was even the treatment then?) maybe it all would be different now.  Who knows?  My point being: do what you can do to treat the AS before you decide on the surgery.  The surgery is difficult, the recovery hard (although better than it was 35 years ago) and there are no guarantees.  You might find with AS under control that the pain is manageable.  You might not though.  But it's worth trying, I think...  good luck!

• Posted

Your post makes me understand that I must confront my 32 yo son about the aches he has and to get tested to rule out AS. I just got diagnosed at 65 but there have been many symptoms over the years that may have come from this. He just found out his wife is pregnant and I’ve not known what to tell him. 
  • Posted

I was recently diagnosed. I am trying to treat my AS naturally right now. I've changed my diet to paleo and have had good results with it. I take supplements and did 6sessions of acupuncture. I am now in a good place and have been able to start yoga daily. I also practice mindfullness, stress management etc and I drink vegetable smoothies each morning with Apple cider vinegar.

If the meds are not working then defo look into natural remedies. I have 2very young children and the birth of my first child triggered my AS. It was a really rough 3years prior to diagnosis but I'm finally able to function normally and enjoy life with my kids

• Posted

Hi Backtome,

It sounds like you and I are trying similar approaches! I was very recently diagnosed too (although the condition has been around a lot longer). My rheumatologist wanted to start me on Humira right away but I have chosen to try natural treatment instead. I know biologics have helped people but for me, the risks were just too frightening. I'm also prone to certain infection and shutting down my immune system was not something I wanted to mess with.

I've been doing the Anti-Inflammation diet but I assume that it's pretty similar to Paleo. Also, tumeric! I have been consuming that like crazy. It might be too soon to tell but the days I don't follow the diet, it seems like the pain worsens. I need to get back into yoga! Thanks for the reminder. Good luck with it, I'm not knocking anyone that tries the recommended drugs but it gives me hope other people are trying a more natural and holistic approach too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.