Spondylolistheses grade 2 with bilateral exit foraminal stenosis L5/S1

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am new to the forums and I'm very confused after recent events in my life.

I am a 40yr old gent and before my car accident I lived a perfect healthy an very active work and social life.

I was involved in a very nasty accident (passenger) of a car that rolled over multiple times at over 115mph was told very lucky to be alive by paramedics.

Since my accident I have been diagnosed as having

Spondylolistheses grade 2 with bilateral exit foraminal stenosis L5/S1

I have been struggling with very aggressive an excruciating pain in my lower back and left leg, continued pins/needles all down my leg and numbness. I have had an epidural in my spine for pain relief which didn't work I am taking several different types of medication and I can still only walk a short few steps on crutches before my pain is too much. My confusion is I recently had a consultation at prh orthopaedic department during which we spoke about a spinal fusion and nerve decompression operation which I was explained was not a cure but would maybe help me.

Why I was there I requested if I could maybe use a wheelchair for getting out house more (I can't leave house at the moment due to my pain) and was told to see my gp about which I presumed tobe normal procedure.

Well I have received today a copy of the ditated notes and there is a paragraph init that reads as follows,

He (me) does not really come across as a candidate for a spinal fusion and decompression. The pain is related to accident and there are various medico-legal issues. At the moment he is requesting a wheelchair. There are a lot of yellow flags around at the moment.

I'm contacting the pain clinic and see if they can see him sooner. After treatment we may consider referral to Oswestry for spinal fusion.

I have already been seen by pain clinic and received the treatment and it was a fail I am now awaiting a follow up appointment with my consultant which I am going to confront him about the report I got. Hope I not confused anyone I'm just after help with my situation.

Thanks smile

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ginge,

First, I am so sorry for your situation.  I had a fusion of my L5-S1 for spondylosethesis 6 months ago, and can empathize with the severe pain you are in!  As for the surgeon's correspondence, I agree, it is insulting terminology.  I am in the US.  Here, I believe some doctors/surgeons prefer not to take on patients involved in litigation for a couple of reasons.  First, doctors want to get paid.  If there is a dispute about what insurer/party is responsible for the payment of the operation, that could delay payment to the surgeons.  This is a horrible reason for a doctor to reject a patient, and I don't know if it is even legal.  Additionally, perhaps the doctor doesn't want to get in the middle of the litigation if it isn't settled before surgery, and called to testify.  Just a couple of thoughts, so maybe you don't take it as personally!  Finally, are you on Facebook?  There is a support group that is extremely helpful for people with spondylolisthesis.  It has compiled lists of good (and bad) surgeons around the world, as submitted by members of the community that have had fusions or other spine surgeries.  It is called: Spondylolisthesis & Retrololisthesis Support.  I would join and post your question there. I am amazed by the amount of knowledge people in that group have, particularly the administrators.  Also, check out the forum on spine-health .com if you haven't already.  Best of luck to you!  And - get a second opinion ASAP!

• Posted

I'm uk based my operation is on nhs so I'v no idea why he would write about me like that sad my issues an pain are very very real and all I want is to have no pain sad

I have requested to join the site on Facebook but I am still waiting to be addedsad

I really hope your recovery is a good one and works 110% smile

• Posted

Just going to tell the moderator to put it on the list of ADRSupportUK and I lost my password, thats what pain does too....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.