spondylolisthesis

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been told that swimming should be avoided with this condition but I would welcome having that sort of non weight bearing exercise.

Any advice please

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Mollysox

I was advised by an orthopaedic consultant that we should only swim on our backs.

• Posted

Thanks, that is what i have been told. i am a reasonable swimmer but spending the whole time doing back stroke rather takes the enjoyment away
  • Posted

Mollysoz

Yes I can understand that as a good swimmer it can be boring on your back all the time (my 86-year-old aunt swims regularly each day and always alternates back and front). I'm not a good swimmer - lucky if I can get across the width rolleyes -but with spondylolisthesis the consultant told me it's important to try and flatten the spine rather than encourage the hollow which most people with either normal spines or with some other spinal problems seem to find more helpful.

My slippage is at lumber 4/5. It can stabilise for quite a while but when it goes it goes! Something simple like going over an an ankle can easily upset the sciatic nerve leaving me with leg pain for months on end. Some beds/chairs are a no-no for me but when I do have a bad episode I find if I don a support girdle for a few days it can sort it out Years ago the consultant did arrange for a made-to-measure orthopaedic boned support to be fitted but with the passage of time and long term steroid medication, it no longer fits.rolleyes

I do sympathise and hope you can continue with your swimming.

• Posted

Have you tried epidural type pain relief?
  • Posted

Mollysox - No I haven't. Orthopaedic cons. referred me to a physio for spinal muscle strengthening exercises to strengthen the muscles around the slippage thereby supporting the spine. They can help.
  • Posted

Thanks for you help Mrs O. I was doing exercises for some time but battling with lifelong depression I stopped . I have been trying to get into pilates classes but they are like gold dust.

Mine is 4/5 and have sciatic pain one side or the other and agree that a simple "bad move" makes me feel that my top half is not aligned with the bottom half. Just going for a short walk (used to walk hours on end) causes pain

Best wishes and take care sad

• Posted

Mollysox

I joined a Tai Chi class soon as PMR pain permitted and have found it excellent for its stretching, balancing, breathing and relaxation techniques. It's such a shame that you have pain even on a short walk as walking is good for the spine and for lifting our mood. As for that feeling of the "top half not being aligned with the bottom half" - perfect description! At its worst, I'd even describe it as feeling as if the top half is going to drop off the bottom half - that's when the support girdle comes into its own. I wish you better days and soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.