Spondylolisthesis and nerve problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 2 months ago I started getting some unusual feelings in my right leg. To begin with it just felt a little more lethargic than the other leg. This gradually developed into tingling sensations in my calf and a burning feeling down the front of my thigh. Sometimes this travels down into my foot.

I saw a physiotherapist and she initially said it was probably a trapped nerve but after a few weeks it didn't improve so I was sent for an x-ray. The x-ray showed grade 1 - 2 Spondylolisthesis at L5 and S1. Basically the disc is ground down to nothing also.

I should point out that other than some dull lumbar pain I haven't really had any other symptoms other than the neurological ones. The physio has now referred me for an MRI but made the comment that she wouldn't expect the tingling / burning sensations to be present unless the Spondo was grade 3+. Now after a consultation with Dr Google (not sure where that guy got his medical degree from), I am worried it might be something else like MS.

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced nerve symptoms only with a grade 1 to 2 Spondylolisthesis?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Yep. I have lumbar spondylolisthesis with retrolisthesis L3 to S1 and I have had neuropathic pain in my right leg. Have had four epidural injections; only the first one gave me any type of relief (4 months). Have been through two 6-week rounds of physical therapy including lumbar traction (which reaggravated the nerve pain; I HAD it under control with medication).

Mine is "moderate" which I think is grade 3; in the uppermost and lowermost levels it is grade 2. Have been told by three separate orthopedic spine surgeons I am "not a rurgical candidate". Cancelled two appointments with neorosurgeons in the coming 3 weeks because what's the point?

At least the torture of physical therapy with lumbar traction will be over this Friday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.