spondylolisthesis causing right side lower back pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a grade 2 spondy in my L5/S1 that is bordering on grade 3. Over the past few months I've developed pain in my right lower back that is not the nerve pain my surgeon has told me to look out for. It is more like pain from what feels like a joint moving in and out of place. It is not in the spine, but further to the right. Sometimes walking is very uncomfortable and quite painful and I have to put more weight on the left side until this "joint" or whatever it is works itself back into place.

Anybody else with a spondy have the same issue? I'm just wondering if it is actually resulting from the spondy or if it is a separate issue. I go back to my surgeon in a few weeks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi emmyloo85,

I have very bad lumbar pain, no discs left, and I too have the same pain you are speaking of.

I should first say that I made sure the Dr knew that my main #1 pain was in what I called the Sacroiliac area.

It is so painful when I try to walk more than 40 ' to 50 ' I have to hold on to a railing or find a seat.

On 6-6-18 a neurosurgeon implanted a Boston Scientific Spinal Cord Stimulator at the t-8 t-9 level to help with the pain.

I had zero pain in both areas, during the trial period which was for one week. On 6-14-18 they did a full implant with the generator and wires and paddle all in place.

From that time on I have had zero success!!! B/S has re-programmed me several times with no progress.

They have tried several different things and to this day I am still in 100 % pain when I try walking.

They are currently looking into doing a CT Mylogram , where the inject dye into the spinal column to see if the paddle or something has moved. They insist it should be working and aren't sure why I went from 100 % relief back to 100 % pain.

I hope you find relief for your pain. If I ever find a solution for mine I will be sure to post it.

• Posted

Hi Emmyloo,

I was going to get Bosten scientific spinal cord stimulator for my L5/S1 disc pain also have sciatic nerve damage. I hear what you have experienced a lot so I decided not too have the implant or try the trial. I hope you get some relief so sorry for what you are going through

Let us know how you are doing

Jackie

• Posted

i'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I work in a hospital and have come across a number of people who have received spinal stimulators and, honestly, not one of them has said that their pain decreased. They all had an increase in pain. I sincerely hope that they are able to find a solution for you.

Thanks for the reply. i mentioned this to my surgeon at my last visit and he thought it was perhaps due to the spondy causing other areas to fall out of alignment, but wasn't completely sure. He was hesitant to perform surgery because he didn't feel like the situation was dire enough at that time. I would like to avoid surgery if at all possible, and I'm grateful I found a surgeon who isn't just jumping at the chance to operate.

• Posted

Sorry, this was meant for the post above. But thank you for responding, and I am glad you've foregone the spinal stimulator.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.