spontaneous unexplained bruising

Posted , 6 users are following.

Here I am again, the old woman with a new symptom every day! I bruise very easily, even when I was a kid, and now that I'm 66 I bruise easier than ever, and I understand a lot of this is normal. I looked down at my feet and the tops of my feet, fairly close to toes, were two bruises on one foot and three on the other!! I do have horribly bad feet. I had surgery one left foot in 2010, and right foot in 2011, horrible boney bunions removed. the doctor told me then, that i had absolutely NO padding on my feet whatsoever. Makes it very difficult to find wearable shoes or do much walking. Do any of you fellow fibroites have this sort of bruising? I had blood workup just a few months ago, and there has never been a problem with diabetes, which was about all I could find on the web, which I need to stay away from! Thanks, all!

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The loss of fatty pads on the bottom of our feet is normal as we age. Also as the pads wear down the arches fall.wearing good soft cushioned foam insole shoes and add arch inserts for support will help more than you imagine. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Oh, yes, I've even had three pairs of special made orthotics after the surgeries,(this was when I was still working, and had decent insurance) wasn't able to wear any of them. One pair the doctor admitted had over-corrected the problem. I think if I had  gotten them when I was younger, they might have helped, but your body gets used to moving in a certain way and doesn't take kindly to being forced to a different position. The orthotics were causing problems with my legs and hips. ugh. 

• Posted

I agree the docs made me several custom orthotics and did nothing. I found arch supports online that help tremendously. The arch support has inserts to fit the arch height and a flexable heel for soft cushion. I have them in all my shoes. See online the many arches available. 

Good luck 

• Posted

Hi pamie28299,

Sorry to hear your experiencing this. It's really frustrating when you get painful bruises and can't for the life of you know how you got them!!! Have you had your clotting screen done? It shows how your blood clots together???

Might be worth asking for one if not had it done???

Kind Regards Catherine

• Posted

Thanks, Catherine. No, medicare pays for basic services but not for anything that I would request, I had basic CBC, and nothing shows up as being amiss. My doctor isn't real big on testing unless he suspects something-or if you have great private insurance!lol. Who knows? Probably another symptom of fibro and old age! Maybe I can find some nail polish to match the bruises!

lol
  • Posted

Bless you. I'm fortunate enough to live in the U.K so am able to be tested through the NHS. Ooh when you find some nail polish that matches please send pictures!!! I am still trying to get my head around fibromyalgia!! Different things going on all the time!😫. I have decided that childbirth is much less painful than fibro!!!🤣. What joys we have we don't even get anything at the end of this apart from more pain and stiffness😭. Take care pamie.

Kind Regards Catherine

• Posted

Lol. Yes, it's a party every day isn't it? My father was stationed in Europe in WWII. He talked about the NHS and said he didn't understand why in the world it wouldn't work here, as well!

• Posted

Pamie28299 I got you in age; I'm 76 and was diagnosed in 1999 when doctors said FMS was for hypochondriacs. Bruising can come from age especially if we are taking IBUProfen or aspirin. Bruising can come from nerve ending damage where when you rub an aching spot you notice the skin has no feeling.  It can come from meds we end up taking as we get older for heart disease and God be beside you if you are brave enough to take Chemo when FMS has damaged nerve endings already.  I (like you) still appear to doctors as healthy but I ask "if I'm so healthy, why do I feel so bad." Had a cardiologist that blamed all my chest pain on FMS but 2 years later his PA suggested I should have a heart cath and that's when they found I had an 80% blockage in the main artery of my heart.  Right now networking is great because we can compare how others are being treated and perhaps maybe just someone will listen.

• Posted

Ugh, you poor woman! At least there is a little more awareness of the condition than a few years ago, although some people don't believe it's a thing at all! My own Mother passed away almost five years ago, and I know she thought it was a made up condition. She would swear i had some arthritis, etc. and I would try to explain that it was not arthritis!!lol In the beginning, the only way I could describe it was like having constant growing pains! Now it's more like being hit by a truck! take care.

• Posted

Yess I do bruise extremely easily and I did as a child too. My blood clotting ability was tested before an op and I am a borderline 'clotter". They doubled checked the test. When I have a day in the garden, my arms look like I have been in a fight

• Posted

I have bruised easily in the past off and on.mthe Doctor did a vit-D test and I was very low. Now almost 8 months later the brusing isn't nearly as bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.