Spot on spine

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband had an MRI (lumbar) 4 months ago and it showed 'nothing' wrong. (he has back problems plus had surgery on his back years ago)

Just yesterday he had a CatScan and it showed a 'spot on his spine'.

How could an MRI 'miss' what yesterday's Catscan discovered?

I'm more than concerned. Thank you for any input you can offer me.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Grace, MRI's are better at showing up soft tissue, and CT's bony things. It could be a bone spur, or just an abnormality, or something that's always been there.

Try not to worry too much until it's been assessed by a consultant, and you have more details.

• Posted

Hi Laura ~ you read my mind. Thank you for your encouragement ~

Won't be till March 2nd and 3rd for both scans.

I so appreciate your reply (( smiles )) God bless you & yours !

• Posted

Sorry I left out that he is scheduled for an MRI and a bone scan March 2nd and 3rd.

He had an MRI back in Sept. and all was okay. . . till now. ~ ~

• Posted

I've had spinal surgery more than once, and now have arthritis in three places in my spine, so I was told after my last scan.

My spine looks really abnormal in scans, I had a brain scan to see if that was the cause of some of my symptoms, and had three "spots" on my brain, plus a large space at the front, looked really odd, and I was really worried, until the neurologist said the white looking spots had probably been there since birth, and he wasn't concerned.

It is worrying when you don't know what things are, and we always assume the worst, hopefully it will be nothing to worry about.x.

• Posted

First spine surgery for severe sciatica about 5 years ago.  MRI showed something odd (spot?  shadow?) but nothing conclusive. (Don't be surprised..."inconclusive" is very common.)  The neurosurgeon had to go in...found a bone spur "crushing" (his word) the sciatic nerve root at L4/L5.  Simple laminectomy...pain-free in a day.

Lots of back pain two years later...drugs and pain shots did not help.  Neurosurgeon went in again...I believe "junkyard" was the term he used.  After 45 years of hockey, ya gotta pay the price sometime. He was going to fuse L4 through S1 but L3 looked wobbly too, so he fused L3-S1.  Twelve days in the hospital...three months rehab (I heal quick).  Pain free and strong again.  Yes, I couldn't touch my toes but at 67 back then, I couldn't touch them anyway.

Had my knee replaced last March and developed severe sciatica IN BOTH LEGS in October.  MRI showed bilateral stenosis at L2/L3.  This was confirmed by a CT/Myelogram with contrast (the GOLD-STANDARD test for spinal problems).  He also did a pain shot a few weeks ago at L2/L3...pain reduced significantly over the next few days.  This confirmed everything plus gave him the game plan for my surgery this March 24th.

Where's all this going?

1. A "spot" is meaningless unless interpreted correctly.  If this is not a neurosurgeon, I'd go see one ASAP.  Remember that reading an MRI or x-ray is literally "The Art of Interpreting Shadows".  Some docs do it better than others.  That's why there's something called "The Second Opinion".

2. If you are not seeing a neurosurgeon, you have to.  They are the brain and spine experts.  Trust no one else.

3. The CT/M test is the absolute best test to diagnose spine issues...period.  It's literally a "map" of your spine.  If an MRI is inconclusive, a good doc will order one.  If you have ANY questions, see a neuro and get the tests done.

4. Don't be surprised if the neuro uses a pain shot in his/her diagnosis.  This is used to confirm a suspected site.  This is done under fluoroscopy via a needle and catheter to deliver the medication to the exact spot in the spine desired.

The end result is that you want a definitive diagnosis and not be put on meds and/or continual pain injections.  Find the "root cause" of the pain and get it fixed.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you for this information.

I'm just worried sick about this 'spot' and from what I am reading.

Dear God . . .he is getting a bone scan and another MRI on March    2nd and 3rd.

• Posted

Unfortunately sometimes technology and blood test don't always pick things up . I believe certain technology and blood test have to be preformed. My aunt died of bone cancer for yrs they told her that the pain was fibromyalgia. She had tests and blood test this did not show. It wasn't till her hip s fractured and they done more X-rays and certain blood test try discovered the cancer. These blood test s could and should have have been done sooner. So many go miss diagnosed because the correct tests are not been done. I am not in any way suggesting this is what's wrong with yr husband. Only that certain things may only help diagnosis. I'd get yr doc to run a full blood test . It may just be a cyst good luck

• Posted

Oh Jessica, thank you for your reply. He already has a rod and screws in the upper part of his spine. I wish I knew 'how big' it is. They just phoned him and gave him the news the other day. Thank you again confused

• Posted

Hi Grace333 just wondering what were the results of your husband's condition. My doctor is now requesting a MRI for me because the found a spot on my spine that's unrelated to the flu that I've had for over a month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.