Spots on chest for several months not going away

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I've had three prominent spots on my chest for several months (I think  4-5) and they won't go away (photos attached). They are mildly itchy. A friend who is a doctor was not sure what they could be. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and medication ideas as I'm beginning to get worried about them. Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to your GP?  You mention your friend but he can't treat you.
    • Posted

Unfortunately haven't been able to see my GP as it is near impossible to get an appointment on the weekend when I am free (I'm away working long hours weekdays). My friend is a doctor so I thought my GP might also end up referring me to a dermatologist, and the whole process will probably take ages, so I thought of asking here.
  • Posted

It looks to me as if you shave [or have shaved] your chest. If so that might have something to do with it.  If it has been some months there is probaly no urgency to see the GP!  I really doubt if you will get a referral to a dermatologist - at least not on the NHS

I would very much doubt that they are anything serious.  It is very difficult really to see much detail on the photos.  Can you tell whether there is a hair in the centre of the spot. If so you may get relief pulling the hair out [I know - ouch!]. The medical advice would be though "leave it alone"!

Is there any sign that it is what used to be called a "blind boil" in other words a spot from which any pus cannot escape?

From the length of time I'd guess certainly not an insect bite.

• Posted

Thank you. No hair in the centre of the spot and it was not a "blind boil".

I trim my chest with clippers; don't shave it. But the spots came around the time I started trimming it, so yes, I feel that might have something to do with it!

• Posted

Hello, are you shaving your chest hairs often? to me, they are simple folliculitis and Fucidine cream will cure them, an appointment with your GP I recommend..regards
    • Posted

I have the hair trimmed by clippers/trimmers, not shaved. I will try the cream you suggest and see how I get on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.