Spotting

Posted , 3 users are following.

My period has always been like clockwork. Even this month, right on time.  However, it was extremely light (which is not normal for me). It was like spotting the whole 7 Days, from oct. 5 - 7. Since then, I’ve continued to have intermittent spotting. It’s never ending. Could something be wrong? Or is this typical perimenopause?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alice.  It sounds like peri to me.  I’ve been in peri for about 5 years now and that’s how it started for me.  I had a period like clockwork—every 24 days and it lasted 5-7 with moderate bleeding. Then I had a period that was shorter and lighter than usual. Then my periods came closer together. Then further apart. Then all the other symptoms of peri started to show up in full force,  including the occasional incredibly long period that would take forever to begin (spotting for days) then heavy flooding for days and days. Seriously, I thought I was going to bleed to death.  Hot flashes, trouble sleeping, aches and pains, anxiety, depression, brain fog, etc. This fun trip all started around my 42nd birthday.   I’ll be 47 at the end of the year and I deal with different peri symptoms nearly every other day.   I’ve been to my doctor and had so many tests. She has told me peri is extremely unpredictable and it can be very different for each woman.  She said as your hormone levels fluctuate you can experience everything on the spectrum.  I’m using various supplements, light exercise, clean eating and may consider BHRT, if I cannot get through the symptoms on my own.  I know—probably a lot more info than what you wanted to hear.  I just wanted you to know spotting during peri is normal. 

If you are greatly concerned, check it out with your GP or gynecologist.  They can run a panel on your hormones and do some other testing. The hormone testing can be somewhat unpredictable though, as they can literally change day to day and even hour to hour.

I wish you all the best.  I find this forum to be extremely helpful.  Please let me know how you’re doing.  Take care and hugs—Sarah.    

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I'm in the beginning stages of peri.  My mom's started early on too.  I'm in my late thirties, but have no kids, so I think peri started earlier for me and since my mom started early.  

I do have an appointment with my gyno on Thursday, but everyday, I just keep having spotting and it's like will it ever stop? But it's nice to have others going through it to chat with.

• Posted

I’ve been spotting for 4 months.  Like you I used to be like clockwork, then suddenly last week a very heavy period.

I’m sure you will be fine, most people are.  If it continues, go to the Dr, just to eliminate anything horrid.  That is not meant to scare you by the way.  Thousands of women spot yet they are fine.  I hope that helps x

• Posted

Thank you! Yes, it does help! It's just been constant since my last "period." I'm hoping my next period isn't super heavy.  Or maybe mine are just going to continue to be spotting.  My progesterone levels have always been on the low side.  But this everyday spotting is just obnoxious.  

• Posted

I just wanted o update, I went to my doctor.  Turns out my spotting is not hormonal, I have fibroids and a possible polyp. She thinks it’s a polyp but she called it an abnormal mass. She did a biopsy and we will proceed once she knows for certain what it is. She thought it might also be an abnormal pregnancy, one that did not develop. Because I also have thickened lining on one side.  But I was reading up on this and polyps can cause thickened lining in one spot. So we will see.
    • Posted

Can I ask if the biopsy was worse than the smear test?

At least you have some news now and your symptoms will be treated x

• Posted

Oh yes the biopsy was very painful!!! It just feels the worst cramps ever but the pain subsides after about 15-20 minutes.
  • Posted

Hi, Alice,

I'm glad you went and had it checked and you have more information about the cause of your spotting.  I have fibroids, too--which causes heavy bleeding during my periods.  My sister in law has the same issue (she's 52).  She has fibroids, has heavy bleeding when she does have a period and had spotted frequently.  She is close to reaching full menopause and her fibroids have began shrinking (she has said her spotting symptoms have started to get better).  My sister has a small cervical polyp and she lightly spots between her periods--she's 42 and has had this issue for a few years now, (she has this checked regularly and while it is frustrating to her, she has been assured by her doctor it is not unusual).  I understand these are both very common issues.  Please keep me posted as you get more information.  I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.  Big hugs--Sarah

• Posted

Are they just leaving the fibroids to Shrink on their own or is surgery necessary?
    • Posted

They won’t do anything about the fibroids since they are not harmful. She’s concerned about the mass though. Hopefully biopsy will show it’s just a polyp.
    • Posted

Yes I’m relieved to know these are very common!

Up until this month, I was having heavier periods - which all started this year.  I’m hoping my next period comes normally - is due in about a week. Even though it will probably super heavy because my lining is so thickened. But I’d rather it normalize itself. As for mass, if it’s not a polyp, I hope it will naturally expel itself.  I just don’t want to get a D&C.

• Posted

Update.  Biopsy showed it was abnormally thick lining.  Which went on to shed itself - which meant heavy bleeding and cramps for me for 5 days.  She did another ultrasound though and uterus is cleared out.  So, no polyps, but I do have 2 fibroids.  She said they are really small though.  The heavy bleeding stopped about two days ago.  But now, again, I'm having that same spotting! It's driving me nuts.  I know I had everything checked and the dr said not to worry, but I'm just annoyed with the spotting.  I'm hoping it's just my cycle out of whack and it will normalize soon.  She did say I'm probably perimenopausal though....which is what I suspected.

I also had STD test - negative.  And a pregnancy blood test - negative.  I was worried about the pregnancy one because I've had ectopic before and the abnormal spotting reminded of that time.  But I guess it's not that.

So I will just have to be annoyed with the spotting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.