Spotting a Symptom of Perimenopause?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Feeling scared! My symptoms: Reflux/Indigestion, Bloated (can't eat much due to feeling full), Night Sweats, Abdominal Flutters and Pain, Shooting Pain in Back, Frequent Urination, Spotting (5 days after last period ended), irregular periods (3 to 4 months apart), extreme anxiety and depression. Anyone else experience all of these symptoms? They're frightening me, especially when my breathing is affected after eating due to feeling full. Would appreciate hearing about the experience of others. Thanks..

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Laura, thats exactly what I got. Bloating after I eat which made me feel like I couldn't breathe then that would throw me I no an anxiety attack. I used to take over the counter reflux meds but my doctor put me on a prescriptive pill which has helped immensely. You are in perimenopause. I have the same symptoms as you. Its annoying to say the least but follow this forum and you will see we all share the same symptoms. Talk to your doctor about a good reflux pill ok? Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you Nancy. It is reassuring to hear these symptoms are to be expected during perimenopause. The spotting so soon after a period really worried me. I also feel nauseas from time to time and have swollen glands in my throat which might be related to indigestion. It is a frightening time that Doctors don't prepare us for. I'm glad you have some relief. Now that I am passing fertility stage I will ask my Doctor about the pill. I was wondering if it would help and it might, considering it helped you. Thanks again..
  • Posted

Yes yes yes every symptom you mentioned I have also!!!! Been in perimenopause eight years now 48. The bloating and breathlessness scare the crap out of me. The anxiety depression and fatigue is horrid. Thank God for this site and all the lovely brave ladies who post on this site. I dont know where I would be without this site. I convinced myself I was dying. Please stay strong we are alll in this together.

God bless xx

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to mention I was put on omeprazole for the gerd but just been to my doctor again who suggested peppermint oil capsules for the bloating. So im gonna give them a try. I will let you know how I get on x
    • Posted

Thank you Michelle, I will try peppermint oil too. 8 years is a long time-worn you've be suffering with this. As you say, thank God for sites like this because Doctors don't prepare us.
    • Posted

Sorry....but autotext is inserting extra words. I meant to say 8 years is a long time to be suffering from this. My chest feels heavy so I wake up with sleep apnea. I saw a counsellor who wants me to spend a week in hospital such is my anxiety.
    • Posted

Putting you in a hospital would likely only add to your anxiety!! That is so extreme. In 2006 I was having full blown panic every day, with dry heaving, shaking, hyperventilating... All it took was xanax and the right antidepressant ( ihad depression, too). Like little miracles, taken only as needed. Warmest wishes to you. Please know: It IS treatable-- no stressful hospital stay required!!!

• Posted

I tend to agree a hospital stay is a bit drastic. I went on mirtazapine AD which is also for anxiety. It helped but due to weight gain im weaning off. Real shame because they help me to sleep as well.
    • Posted

I have similar symptoms......some days I don't have the energy to move.....and the anxiety and foggy brain are horrid! I began taking 100mg of B6 and within two days I noticed a difference! I also heard magnesium helps with the anxiety although I have yet to start taking it so I can't talk from experience!! Stay Strong Ladies!!  
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

I would make Dr appointment and discuss ailments, i did last month.  I get bloated spuradically, when i do i try not eat acidy foods and more little and often, been drinking green tea lately at that has made me feel far more healthy then i have of late.  I am 50 and been told by GP that am peri.  I think if you can talk all this through with your GP they may reccommend something to help as mine did.  Anxiety is a really big issue with all of us here and mine, with the breathing thing, i get that when anxious its like you can't get enough air, you really have to concentrate and try and slow your breathing down and it calms you down.  I take Agnus Castus and magneisium (calms your system down) it seems to be working and definitly taken the edge of my anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you Nicola. I will add Magnesium. I haven't heard of Agnes Cactus but willing to try anything for relief. The breathing issues are frightening. I can't sleep properly due to chest pressure and sleep apnea. Thanks for your reply.
    • Posted

PS Am seeing Doctor and a counsellor at the moment. I hope we find relief.
  • Posted

Hi Laura

I'm having the same issues with indigestion and reflux, chest and back discomfort and pain, severe health anxiety, erratic periods etc.

I'm really struggling with the indigestion side if things, I dont seem to be able to get any relief. My GP put me in lansoprazole which did nothing and I now on rabeprazole for the last two weeks, at first they seemed ok but now my symptoms are creeping back and I'm feeling awful again.

My GP constantly dismisses peri menopause as a reason for the way I feel. Its frustrating and scary when it feels like no one is listening.

I've convinced myself that I've got something seriously wrong with me and I'm exhausting myself with worry so I totally understand how you are feeling.

Its awful but we will get through it, albeit battered and a bit bruised!

• Posted

Hi lisa

What is it with these doctors that just cannot see its hormone related!!!! Ive had all the symptoms you mentioned for the past eight years. This past year being by far the worst. Its the most awful time of life but I have to say without doing my own research on sites like this I probably would have lost my sanity by nowsad( why oh why were we never told that perimenopause could be this bad? I will certainly be educating my four daughters as to what to expect. Keep talking theres lots of lovely ladies here to listen xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle

So many of us have the same sort of symptoms and it actually angers me that certain GPs just aren't taking it seriously. My GP is, to be quite honest, a waste of a massive salary! He's talked about angina then changed his mind on that, then told me I had an ulcer but backtracked on that, now its reflux caused by a hiatus hernia but he added that he couldn't be sure and this morning I got a referral letter with a cardiology appointment that I didn't even know id been referred for!

I noticed that you'd been taking omaprazole, which I understand is similar to what I'm on. Did you get any relief from them?

• Posted

No relief as yet my doctor wants me to increase the dose to 40mg from 20mg but as she just told me my digestion issues are not hormonal im not inclined to take her advice. Im having peroods every two to three months!!!! Of course its HORMONAL. Im just a bit fed up with going to see the doctor to be honest. Aaaarrrrgggg
    • Posted

I'm not surprised you're fed up seeing the Dr, I've lost confidence in mine totally.

I hope you find something that helps you feel better.

Take care x

• Posted

Yes, it is hard when Doctors dismiss the reasons for our symptoms. Thank you for your reply. I hope you get relief from your symptoms soon.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

It is hard when Doctor dismiss the cause of our symptoms. Perimenopause is something I didn't expect them to dismiss. I feel for you all. We need support and education about this. We're all unprepared as a result.

• Posted

Sorry for double up....my mobile phone has a mind of its own.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

Try eating ginger (crystalised) really good for the digestion.  Green tea with mint.   Extra strong mints for digestion is brilliant.  Being extremely anxious makes you breath faster and ingesting air, so this may cause indegestion (just a thought).  Have you thought about Yoga or Pilates im going to do it, to try and get through this without taking anything. Swimming is good too, takes your mind of everything. and  good massage can do wonders.  Dont panic we are all here! xx

• Posted

Hello

Thank you for the advice, I'll certainly give the ginger and green tea a go. I did wonder if my anxiety could be causing my digestive issues. The ingesting air thing is a really good point cos I think I do hyperventilate.

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Yes, that can happen, thats what i did when i had a panic attack and called  ambulance as 1st time i had it my husband was away and thought i was dying, feel really stupid about it now.  The paramedic said that when hyperventilating you ingest air and it makes you feel sick, as i was dry heaving.  Since reading everyones comments on here, it does seem that anxiety is causing a lot of issues regarding health anxiety i am the same, never used to be like this.  However seeing a pattern here is helping me to see that it is hormones that are making us feel like this, and accepting that might be the way to dealing with it.  Making changes to diet and lifestyle can really aleiviate the problems we are all experiencing.  My mum got through it with swimming and excercise, she didnt take anything, as did my friends mum, she did Pilates, so it can be done without anti-depresents, i think sometimes that can compoung everything.  Although i do appreciate that they may be needed.  I asked my doctor for them saying i had severe anxiety and she asked me if i was depressed.  I said no just anxious and she said no to anti-depresents!

• Posted

I never use to be like this either, its been about the last 3 years that the anxiety had really got bad and the last 4 months have been a nightmare.

I have a very stressful job and when I'm not working im caring for my 80 year old mother who's in poor health.

I was offered anti depressants but refused them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.