Spotting after missing levothyroxiene

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just wondered if it's possible missing a 75mcg dose of thyroxene could cause spotting. I have only every missed 3 doses since staring in 2013 and it seems to cause spotting or is it a coincidence.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Carly, It’s likely a coincidence. The levels of thyroid hormone in your bloodstream don’t change overnight at a missed dose. It takes much longer.
  • Posted

Low thyroid can lead to low progesterone. This results in spotting, shortened cycles and other problems. These are classic hypothyroid symptoms that are often not discussed. 

It's unlikely that missing one dose could result in such a shift in hormones unless you're already on the very lower end of your ideal dosing. 

There's a hormone book that I've found helpful. She recommends  the herb Vitex for low progesterone and I've found this to be extremely helpful in regulating cycles and reducing spotting. Seems to help get the cycles back on track a lot faster after they're whacked from funky thyroid stuff. I've experienced no side effects from this herb and it works pretty quickly. 

• Posted

Thanks I will have a look, I thought it was maybe just a coincidence, I have been on thyroxine since having my little boy but I don't go into details etc about my results  only as I have no clue what im looking at I just have bloods checked and take whatever dose is recommended, it's never chAnged from 75mcg. Thanks for answering 

• Posted

Carly, a small but really important start to knowing about your test results would be to ask what your TSH level is. TSH is the one most doctors use to decide on dosage.

the value needs to be between 0.32 and 4. 

If it goes above 4 you may need a higher dose, and vice-versa. 

Knowing this allows you to have confidence in your treatment, because thyroid disease is tricky and not all doctors have their act together on it. 

Other than the problem your raised, are you doing OK on the Levothyroxine?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.