Spotting before and after period. Scared. Advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello! This is my first post here so i hope I am doing this right! I am really freaking out about my period right now and I am hoping for some advice, here is some info about me: I am 22f, I am 119 lbs, I am not on any pill, I am a virgin, and I get my period once a month for normally 3-5 days.

3 or 4 days before my period I started spotting some blood, some days it was a good amount an others it was little to none, which freaked me out because that has never happened before. Then I got my period, my period is usually pretty medium/light and lasts 3 days and slowly stops from day 4-6. well this time around I got my period and It was consistent for 5 whole days, with a fair amount of blood clots (i get them normally but it just felt like more this time.) then when i thought my period was finally over i started spotting again! lots of brown blood and a lot of blood clots when I wipe.

so to some up: 4 days of pre period spotting, 5 days of a consistant period flow and cramps each day, and 3 days of post period spotting and possibly more (it looks like its calming down now but who knows)

I have never had spotting before or after a period before so this really scared me. plus there seemed to be more blood clots than normal (they werent super big but it was just an observation) I know this is irrational but my brain keeps going straight to cancer and I can’t focus on anything else.

I’ll admit I’ve been EXTREMELY stressed out this past month with college and family drama, I’ve been very inactive and my body clock is screwed up, I’ve been oversleeping and my eating habits aren’t great (I will eat at weird times and eat either very little or too much). I’m in my last semester so I’m kinda going through I lot which is why I’m such a mess.

The thing is I’ve kinda been like this for months now and I’ve never had period issues like I did this month. So I’m not sure why this month is different?

ALSO: I had my firs gyno visit back in December. So felt around and did a Pap smear and never said anything afterwards so I don’t think anything is abnormal. I texted my GP who’s also a gyno and she said it could be due to stress and to see how it goes next month but she thinks it’s nothing.

The thing is waiting a month is terrifyingly me, I keep freaking out it’s some sort of cancer and I need to concentrate on school! Has anyone gone through this or have any advice? Should I just calm down? I don’t know what to do!

IM SORRY THIS IS SO LONG IF YOU READ THIS THANK YOU SO MUCH ❤️

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Stress can definitely affect your period. Try to find comfort in the fact that the gp isn't worried either. I know it's hard I suffer from extreme health anxiety and will panic over anything. You're quite young still it could be hormonal. I hope you're okay. Maybe try some breathing exercises or mindfulness to help you relax. Take care xx

• Posted

Hi

Stress ,weight gain or loss , activity levels etc can all have an effect on your periods. Honestly i would only start to worry if it for 3 or more months in a row. Though if the bleed does not stop soon i would go to my doctor as you could end up with low iron . there's are few medication that can stop bleeding.

They definitely would have contacted if anything was wrong with your smear test.

I would highly recommend using an app to track period and PMS symptoms. it actually help you know when a change is not stress related. it help me know my period issues were not stress or weight gain issue. I was eventually diagnosed with Premature ovarian insufficiency basically early menopause.

hope this helps

Rachel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.