Spotting Depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Bit of a strange question but from people's experience is depression something that you can spot yourself or is it usually something that someone else spots?

Been feeling pretty low with various things for the last 18 months or so and possibly think it may be some kind of depression but at the same time I am kind of thinking that I am maybe over reacting and was thinking that if it was some kind of depression would it be something I would be able to spot or do people genuinely suffering from depression not really have any awareness of it?

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's more likely that you will spot it yourself as you know more then anyone how you are feeling. Sometimes people can spot the signs of it but it depends how you act around them. If your feeling worried about it speak to your gp as they wil ask you questions about how your feeling x
  • Posted

It is hard to identify the first time. I remember thinking I didn't want to waste the doctor's time, and also we'd been taught at school not to use the word depressed lightly because it was a serious illness, I didn't want people to think I was attention-seeking. I probably wouldn't have seen a doctor if my boyfriend hadn't told me to go. The problem is that it happens gradually and by the time you're depressed you're not thinking clearly. Go to your doctor, they're there to give you a diagnosis; you wouldn't wait til you were sure you had cancer before going to see a GP. Do it sooner rather than later because though it builds up slowly it does become worse over time if it's not treated. Also, it's difficult but try to tell your doctor exactly how you feel without watering it down. The tendency is to minimise it out of embarrassment (esp if you're British) but there are no blood tests so diagnosis can only be based on what you say. Your doctor will have seen it all before anyway. Good luck, hope you're on the road to recovery soon.
  • Posted

Hi interesting question!   I think it depends on how deatched you are from your feelings.  I know last time my depression kicked in I wasn't aware of it but just an overwhelming feeling of wanting to kill myself.   I couldn't think how to do it so I decided to go to the doctor and,  as I was having huge difficulties in sleeping,  to ask for some sleeping pills.   I was going to use those.  

Not only did the doctor not diagnose depression,  he just gave me a lecture on sleeping,  some leaflet and called me an 'uptight person'.  I was really upset afterwards then a week or so later I remembered a friend had been on ad's and still had some at home.   So I told her the sleeping story and she gave me the pills.  I took a big overdose at home (a mixture of anxiety and ad's).  The only result was I slept for 2 days and woke up again still feeling very strange.   . 

It took me another 3 months to pluck up the courage to go back to the doctors (a different one)  who not only diagnosed me but was brilliant.   When she did I told her what I had done and she couldn't have been more helpful.    She doled out my ad's on a weekly basis only so I couldn't accumulate them and saw me every couple of weeks or so.  She also arranged counselling (had to wait for 6 months for it though). 

So the answer to your question I guess is sometimes yes and sometimes no.  

If you are not sure if you are suffering from depression or not why not take an online depression test - google it - there are a few out there.     x

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, really helpful.
  • Posted

When depression strikes, sadness often occurs that affects someone’s ability to function and carry out daily scedule.Depression shows typical signs and symptoms of the illness. Upon recognizing symptoms of depression, reach out to a family member or friend to offer support and assistance. It’s possible that you can't recognize the issues.

Lifestyle changes are not easy to make, but they can have a big impact on depression. Lifestyle changes that can be very effective include:

1.  Cultivating supportive relationships

2.  Getting regular exercise and sleep

3.  Eating healthfully to naturally boost mood

4.  Managing stress

5.  Practicing relaxation techniques

6.  Challenging negative thought patterns

Fighting and overcoming depression can take time.But you feel better.

• Posted

Hi - I think you can spot it yourself but it can be difficult to get the help you need without support. I was recently diagnosed as suffering from depression and anxiety disorder. I was feeling really down following a serious of bad events over the past 18 months and it was in fact my husband and members of his family who encouraged me to go to the doctor. I thought I'd be wasting his time and that all I needed was to sort myself out. Once I saw my GP he was really supportive and admitted he wasn't surprised to see me there as he had picked up on changes in my mood over the past year - I should add I have had to see him a lot due to an on going medical issue. Whenever he tried to bring it up I had passed it off as stress at work but over the last 2 months I've seen him a few times and been completley honest about what I've been feeling. 

Other people have also noticed that something is wrong and when I admitted to a friend, who has a little knowledge about depression through his work that I'd been diagnosed he asked me if the diagnosis had helped. I hadn't really thought bout it but I have to say it has. Since being diagnosed I don't feel so stupid for getting upset by things or that I am wasting people's time. 

It's worth talking to somebody about it so that you don't sink further into depression.

• Posted

Upon recognizing symptoms of depression, reach out to a family member or friend to offer support and assistance. It’s possible that the depressed person doesn’t recognize the issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.