Spotting...is it normal.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

So im 54yrs old, had peri for what seems like decades!! My periods are much lighter and i was having one every 6wks. Up until 2wks ago when i should have started (6wks had passed) but all ive had is light spotting/streaking! This has been on and off for 2wks now. Is it normal and just my body trying to push out a period? Do i need to see my doctor? Im not really worried as i think i must be nearing finishing my periods....i hope!!! I would appreciate your advice.

Oh btw...im putting on weight even tho i feel im not eating more plus ive started aqua aerobics! Help....will i eventually lose this extra weight?

Really tired too but this heatwave isnt helping.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Elaine 😊

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear elle

Im same age as you, started peri about 51 and yes I had the continous spotting. For peace of mind I had a transvaginal ultrasound and all they said was that I had some simple cyats on my ovaries (whether this was the cause or not I dnt knw) and they wasnt concerned about them. I have read from others that they too had this endless spotting!

• Posted

Hi Elle,

Yes, the spotting/streaking you mention sounds entirely normal to me.  I had it for a long time, as well as having intermittent periods, from 46 up to 52.  Sometimes that would be all I'd have for many months with no periods at all.  My last 'proper' period was at almost 52 but I had the spotting and streaking at long intervals for almost 2 years longer.  When I mentioned it to my practice nurse she was insistent that it wasn't normal after the last period and I should see my GP.  He referred me to a consultant and I had ultrasounds, biopsies and a hysteroscopy...all normal and fine.  The only thing they found was some fibroids in the uterine wall which didn't cause any symptoms and go away as you get older anyway.  I have come to the conclusion that your body just doesn't stop having periods and that's it - I think it winds down and will have episodes of spotting, regardess of whether the medical profession thinks it normal or not.  I doubt you have anything to worry about, but obviously if it drags on for a while you should see your doctor just for peace of mind xx

• Posted

Aqua aerobics is the best means. But the weight can go very slowly.
  • Posted

Hi ladies

Many thanks for all your replies. I am going to see the doctor soon and will discuss my problem with her.

I do have fibroids and have had a scan recently. They said everything was fine even though i have multiple fibroids. The fibroids have not really bothered me in the past!

I will see what my doctor suggests.

Thanks again.

Elaine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.