spotting.. is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently had problems with my tablets.. I had them increased to 100mg but I had a health issue which was blamed on the increase of tablets so I was advised to lower dosage again.. then I went to endocrinologist and he said it Def wasn't my thyroid tablets that caused the other health issues and he told me to start taking my 100mg everyday again which was about 3 weeks ago. From I have started to take them again I have been having light spotting between periods.. is this normal? Is in the change in hormone levels doing this? Plz help someone xx TIA

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I hate to think of you getting nowhere with this, so I would suggest you go to 'Unacceptable side effects of Levothyroxine' on this site, and ask the same question. Gill

• Posted

Hello Amanda:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse and I live in the USA.  I also have thyroid disease.  Before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroid disease, I hardly had a period or it would be very short.

The thyroid helps to regulate your period.  When it is not working well, periods do not come or become irregular.  The thyroid sends out a signal to the ovaries called (FSH - Follicle Stimulating Hormone),  and whe the level is good a period will come.

When you take replacement hormone, the body can have "too much" and it can cause spotting to occur. Have you had regular periods before?

Another condition could be fibroids in the uterus.  You would need to see your OBGYN doctor and have that looked at. They can do an MRI or other imaging to see that.

Reduce the level by 25% and see if you feel better and it stops The doctors try different dosages but they don't feel the effects you do. 

Are you on Levo 100 MCG not MG?  Anyway it seems maybe you need a bit of a lower dose.

Stay well, let us know how you do.  Shelly

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply..

My periods have been ok and on time in the past. But just the past 2 months since I've stopped taking my levo completely then starting them again, this spotting has happened. Also forgot to mention that the spotting came around the time of ovulation so thought maybe it was related to that.

I had a blood test 3 weeks ago as requested by the endocrinologist and he said to take the 100 for now just to try and get the TSH back to normal then do another blood test in 6 weeks to see if the 100 was too high or if it was ok..

• Posted

Hello Amanda:

I agree  with your doctor, stay on the 100 mcg dose and if your level gets better it will stop. I think it is coming from the off and now on again Levo.  If it does continue see your OBGYN doctor.

Stay well, Shelly

• Posted

Spotting cd be due any number of cause , ranging from simple harmone blips to infection or rare sinister condition .

See ur gp for internal examination, cevical smear, infection test. 

Talk to family planning clinic if you are talking haromonal contraception. 

Thyroid harmone tend to regulate nonexistent period so it could be the female harmone are starting to do their jobs now. 

Bottom line see the GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.