spotting when changing doseage of HRT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ladies, long story short. My GP asked me to come off Evorel Conti last October (2015) I did for a while but suffered from all sorts. I could not stand it any more so went on to a full patch (that proved too much) so..tapered off and have been down to half a patch (for the last few weeks) I am now starting to experience hot flushes at night and am feeling uncomfortable muscle pains. I have decided to up my dose and cut less of my patch (a slither so nothing drastic) I will probably get more spotting now as I believe the Norethisterone part of the patch causes a spotting. Does anyone know how long (On average) before things become stabalised ( I am almost 66 by the way and been on HRT for 13 years) I know One should not mess around with hormones but I hope I'm doing the right thing here. Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi pat, just out of interest (I am not on HRT... YET!)  when you say the full patch proved too much, what happened?   I was given evorel 50 (and like I said, have not started them yet) so wondering what you experienced and were you using the full patch before the doctor asked you to come off?
    • Posted

I was on a full patch from 52 yrs to 60. My GP wanted me off them at 60 so I compromised and cut the patch in half. I sailed on very well until lasy year when he asked me to stop because of my age. I did and the flushes/aches and pains came back with a vengeance. It was awful, so I slapped a whole patch on and within a few days the flsuhes went and I felt better. but I started to get frequent spotting and just 'felt' it was too much for my system. I went back to half a patch and now I have just upped it again by a slither.. these hormones are devils to get right sometimes. I don't want to put you off but I will defend HRT as my body needed help and HRT delivered, my skin was great I felt I had more energy and NO flushing. 

• Posted

I havent even started but am thinking about it strongly, can't stand thinking this might go on for years.   so thanks for all that you wrote.   just a thought, you might use 3/4 instead of full patch?  cut them diagonally so you have two halves, then cut the second half in two.  then you will know exactly how much you stick on and half the other half of the half for your next round!  rather than a slither, because that would be hard to judge.  biggrin

• Posted

hope that reads ok, because looking at it, it doesn't!

• Posted

Thank you for that idea smile It's actually quite easy for me as there are a row of dots around the patch so I measure and can cut accordingly smile  What are your symtoms? 

• Posted

hi pat.  I have just had (what I think!?) was last period.  Since then (1 month)  I have heat, not intense, not yet anyway and weird chest/upper stomach discomfort.  dry eyes and mouth.   Over the last year I have battled through dizziness, anxiety attacks, headaches (i had migraine as my first symptom over the previous four years but was not aware I was in perimeno).  all these symptoms have improved but now waiting for the heats/sweats to get worse and getting ready to go into battle with those!!  So have the patches ready. biggrin   won't be smiling then

• Posted

oh and muscle pain, shoulder and  leg.  uhh
  • Posted

Hi Pat

You sound as though you are having a rubbish time........I am 64 and have been on HRT since I was 52 starting on Tibolone with a few changes in between including patches which I didn't like. I stopped taking my Premique low dose in April this year because it was off the market but started the aching and flushes, I also felt that my skin aged rapidly so another reason to start again, so have just this past two weeks gone back on to Tibolone (Livial), with my other options I too had spotting and discomfort, another reason why I decided to stop but my female GP is very happy to prescribe tibolone so it may be an option for you. Keep trying until you find one to suit you, there isn't a one pill suits all sadly but that's what we are prescribed unless we keep asking for alternatives. Keep your chin up and keep asking! Good luck Sandra 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.