Spouse woes

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 6 weeks post op on TKR....currently on short term disability from work. My husband is retired and has been helping me with my recovery...I get cranky at times and toss and turn alot at night. This is starting to really wear on my husband. Any suggestions to help? I feel bad for him, especially the sleep issue as we both end up not getting a good night's sleep.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Separate beds for a while. It is not unusual to be cranky at times after a  TKR. 
  • Posted

Is this the Kathleen that Im on facebook with???   If so, I'll pm you.  If not, yeah, seperate beds for sure.  for a while too...  If he knew how uncomfortable you were, he would willingly go to the sofa or other bedroom.  

• Posted

Hi Martha no it’s a new Kathleen but yes if she has a spare room it would be better for both as I’m looking forward to a good nights sleep too 
  • Posted

After my TKR for about 4 months I slept on the recliner in our TV room...there was no way I could sleep in bed.  Even after the 4 months there were times I just got up and said heck with it and when into the recliner.  

• Posted

I have a strap on ice pack that feels really good. But I’m 9 weeks Post TKR and still struggle to get settled. Lots of pillows. 
  • Posted

Six weeks is very early in healing unfortunately. Separate beds and lots of ice. I am now 7 months and have. Even luckier than most in healing. I found it helpful to put a body pillow on the impacted side and it seemed to help to keep the leg straight and braced. Ice regularly and be patient. Easier said than done but absolutely necessary 
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone for advice and making me feel a part of the forum... I feel much more relieved and how things are progressing and that it will get better. Gonna try sleeping on the recliner tonight and leave my poor husband to the bed. Hopefully, we will both sleep better.
    • Posted

Hope you both get a better sleep. At 6 weeks you are still at the start of your journey, it really does improve with time. Don't compare your recovery with anyone else's recovery, we are all different, lots of good advice on here. Do your physio and exercise as much as possible without over doing it, ice and elevation. Use pain relief to control pain, it is better than waiting until the pain gets too bad. You have many years of pain free knees to look forward to, my first TKR was almost 20 years ago and the other 18½ years ago and I have no problems with them. I used to sleep sitting up in bed, watched tv or listened to music until I fell asleep, much easier to do if you are in bed alone.

• Posted

Hi go to Dr & get some sleeping tabs. No need to suffer, they'll relax you & help you sleep. You'll both feel so much better for a good night's sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.