Sprain or broken scaphoid?

Posted , 2 users are following.

5 days ago I fell off my bike onto an outstretched hand. Got some cuts and bruises which were annoying and didn't think much of it until the next morning when I woke up and my wrist was really stiff. By the end of the day it was agony to put any weight on it so I went to A&E. Had an x-ray which didn't show any breaks. Was put in a splint and told to ring the fracture clinic in 2 weeks if it's not feeling any better. Now I really don't want to spend 2 weeks not knowing if my wrist is broken or sprained.

I was told if it's still hurting in 2 weeks it may be a broken scaphoid bone. I have seen online that typically this would really hurt if you poke around the base of the thumb or make an okay sign and push your finger and thumb together. I don't have this pain. It's uncomfortable but not agony.

I still can't put any weight onto my palm (particularly the base) or bend my hand back towards my arm as this is very painful. I also get shooting pains through the wrist and there's a constant dull ache there. It doesn't really feel any different to when I went to A&E.

I suppose my question is based upon my symptoms and anyone's experience, is this likely to be a fracture or just a sprain? I know I'll find out in 2 weeks if it's feeling better or not but it would be extremely helpful to know if I'm likely to be in a plaster cast for weeks in terms of planning for work.

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about your painful fall.

I broke my scaphoid a year ago, initially I thought maybe a bad sprain but when I couldn't grip anything or move my thumb much I had to get it checked and x-ray showed a clean vertical break and a horizontal crack in the scaphoid.

If you can grip and the x-ray was clear I would have thought you haven't a fracture, but obviously I'm no expert !

I recently went right over on my ankle, huge swelling and bruising, more painful than the scaphoid fracture ! Had it xrayed but nothing broken just a severe sprain. 4 weeks on and I still have some swelling and tenderness and daren't run on it yet. I think sprains can sometimes take longer to heal than fractures.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.