sprained and popped ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I was told I sprained my ankle 2 weeks ago on Sunday. I was walking down stairs at church to get my coffee cup and stepped down twisted and popped my ankle. It hurt real bad. Was taken to the hospital and could not move it at all for a good x-ray. I went to an orthopedic dr a few days later and was told to wear a walking boot for 6 weeks. When I take the boot off to bath and change clothes, I try to see if I can put a little weight on it and I can't. Plus I have noticed brusing on both sides of my foot a little. Is all this normal or should I call the ortho dr and get reexamined?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is normal and if you are non weight bearing then do as they say and do not apply any pressure to it ....   the boot is no fun but u will have a better outcome to do exactly as instructed. .  Good luck 
  • Posted

Hello Summer0803, the bruising and inability to bear weight are normal reactions to a severely sprained ankle. However, it would be wise to have another x-ray done when you can stand to have your foot manipulated just to be sure there isn't an underlying fracture. I don't know how well your x-rays turned out, or if they were readable at all, but if not, you should definitely have more done. Your orthopaedist may be planning this on your next visit. What did they tell you about weight bearing? Are you on crutches? Are you allowed to put weight on it at all? If not, DON'T. You don't want to cause more problems. Hope you heal well. Keep us informed.

• Posted

Definitely go see your dr. Do t play with your ankle or foot, trust me. My foot originally started with a sprain and wear a air cast for 6 weeks. Fast forward about 20 years with a few more falling, Miss a step on stairs, tripping on my shoelash off a curb. Then I had a bunion surgery , then a stroke 10 days after surgery. Now I have a left pronated ankle/foot inward and need a ankle fusion. It scares me to have the surgery, the dr has agreed to do a foot block so I’m not asleep. I just hope the Dr can do a good job and I don’t have another stroke. The fusion scares me to have my foot limited to what I can do. I don’t want any more pain and he said a fusion will be no more pain and I can walk normally. So take care of your ankle/foot!! 
  • Posted

Hi Summer,

It sounds like you sustained a high-grade ankle sprain, probably at least a Grade III. That is something to take very, very seriously.

Assuming your attending physician interpreted your x-ray images correctly, you can forget about bone fractures. It is damaged soft tissue (ligaments, tendons, muscles, nerves, and so forth) that is the limiting factor now in your condition. X-rays typically show no soft tissue abnormalities in these cases.

The ankle is a magnificent structure of biological machinery-- strong yet fragile. Your mobility, now and in future, depends on getting proper treatment and care. The accepted recovery protocol for a severe sprain is PRICE (look onllne). Wearing a boot is the P part of PRICE-- Protection of ankle until healed enough to take daily punishment in stride.

Severe sprains can take a long time to heal to normal-- it could be several months or even much longer depending on damage. So be patient and be a good patient-- follow doctor's orders (assuming he or she is competent--  not all are).

If you feel you are not getting professional care you need don't be hesitant about seeking another practitioner.

When you are better you need to start an aggressive ankle rehab program with physiotherapy and ankle exercises tailored to your situation.

Best wishes to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.