Sprained ankle 5 weeks ago, still swollen?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor did an x-ray and found no fractures so he had me wear a boot until there's no more pain and then 1 week after that. 

Here we are 5 weeks later and it is still swollen and very painful to touch the swollen area. Walking isn't as painful as it was 5 weeks ago but I feel like it should be completely healed by this point.

Does anyone have any experience in this? Or advice?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

For a sprain, 5 weeks really isn't long at all, and almost none are completely healed at that point. However, if at 5 weeks it's not any better, it could very well be soft tissue damage that needs an MRI to be seen, so that's what I would suggest...because the sooner that's caught and dealt with the better.

• Posted

X-ray is almost nothing in the case of sprained ankle; you need a MRI right now.
  • Posted

I agree with the others and MRI is so important to understand what the injury is you are dealing with.  Tendons, ligaments and soft tissue could be damaged.  Look up a bone island in the talor dome too as this is becoming more prevelant in rolled ankle injuries and it is an injury to the bone where hard growth is growing in the soft tissue of the bone.  My daughter has one and it has been years and it will not heal.  It causes pain too.  
    • Posted

Would you please explain what “bone island” is? What is means here?

I also have something similar in my new MRI after the surgery!

It says: "Small bone island in the distal and fibula is evident."

What is this? What should I do?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.