Sprained Ankle or what?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Earlier today I fell on my ankle awkwardly as I was exercising. My foot kind of bent inwards as I fell and I heard a loud cracking sound. It didn't swell and the pain subsided after I elevated and iced it so I didn't think much more of it and carried on with my day.

But the past couple of hours I've been in agony. If I keep my foot still there is a kind of tingly achey feeling but when I move (even if I hop on my good leg) it hurts. I can no longer put weight on it without being in pain. It's still not really swollen, but is tender to touch and it hurts when I press on the bone.

I was going to go to the GP early next week if it still hurt, this was before it started to really hurt. Now I'm not sure whether or not to go to A&E.

Surely if it was anything worse than a sprain it would have swelled and been painful from the beginning.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well, many years ago I came off a horse (landed on my feet) but my ankle went sideways. It hurt immeadiately but after a few minutes I stood up and walked back to the stables (about quarter of a mile). It hurt but was ok, I then mucked out loads of stables, then I went home and did my own horses. But then it seriously started to hurt (and it started to swell). I went to the hospital and it turned out I'd taken a slight chunk out the bone but that apparently wasn't the pain, the pain was the ligaments I'd damaged. I spent 6 months on crutches with lots of Physio.

Best to get it checked

• Posted

A very common injury with a turn-over ankle sprain is a cracked bone at the ankle, usually on the outside. Best to get an X ray to be sure, but it is often missed. You are doing the right thing, with ice and elevation meanwhile. Sometimes it takes up to 4 days for swelling or bruising to show up. Don't be surprised if it turns black and blue later. Stay off it (especially if there is a small crack) and keep icing. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

this is exactly what i went through yesterday so random it just happened like whatever you have said you went through i would say word for word its the same with me! Seeing the doctor today

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.