Spray to use when flying etc?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I read in one of the posts in this forum about a spray which she said seemed to have helped her, or her husband.... avoid infection when she flew, also when she went to a hospital.  I have searched and searched, but cannot find the post!cry   If anyone comes across it please let me knowconfused

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It could be Vicks 'First Defence'  I always use this after a flight, and at the first signs of a cold.  I find it really works
  • Posted

Hi bunnybear. Yes it was I who wrote about it and it is First Defence. I am sure it is what has kept us both well throughout daily visits in hospital last winter. I myself have very low immunity. And my husband very low lung function.
  • Posted

Furthermore, my husband who has COPD found a certain honey to help relieve his exacerbation when he gets that dreaded cough. If anyone wants the name pm me but please check with your lung doctor first. And it is not manukah honey. ( hope I spelt that right) a bit expensive but I keep one new jar in the medicine chest, always.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying jonahbiggrin, what exactly is First Defence? I presume you get it in the pharmacy?

are you in the UK? 

• Posted

I am going gaga!  I see above in ohara's post she mentioned it was Vicks First Defence!!  rolleyes

• Posted

thanks for the tip re' First Defence.  I cannot afford another infection this winter so anything that can help would be welcome. Would be interested to know the make/brand of honey you refer to.  I live in rureal Somerset and have found that using local honey CERTAINLY helps warding off symptons of hay fever which in them selves can trigger an excaberation.

Take care all

Michael

• Posted

I always keep a bottle of First Defence handy .. and always use it after going to the doctors and the hospital .. and at the first signs of a cold (even if it's just imagined!).

I don't know whether it works or not (I may not have picked up a cold virus) but it's an extra  weapon in me arsenal .. that, Cod liver oil, Fishermans Friends (Blueberry flavour .. lovely) and a good daily multi-vitamin.

It's a litrtle bit costly, but a bottle lasts for ages.

• Posted

Perhaps it is best to use this nasal spray before going to the doctor's or any crowded  areas or flying, as it is then you need the protection as a prevention. But then again always check with doctor or pharmacist re interaction/allergies when combined with other drugs just to make sure. I bought ours from our chemists and she knows my husband has COPD.
    • Posted

Don't think it will harm you to use it beforehand...but I believe this spray works by taking any germs in the nose out of the nose, and therefore it is more effective to use AFTER you may have been in contact with germs.   So use it before , as long as you use it after you think you may have breathed in germs.  Actually one of the things that attracted me to this spray was that you dont actually have to take any drug, it works by attracting the bugs and you blow them out when you blow your nose...however it works though, I can attest that it really does work.

I used to get so many colds that always wne to my chest...now at the first sign of a 'tickle'  I take this and the cold never materialises

• Posted

Yes Ohara in fact it says you can spray up to 3/4 times a day at the sign of a sneeze, cold, tickle or whatever. However, throughout last winter we sprayed a puff in each nostril before leaving for hospital almost daily to visit our very sick, young, grandchild. I cannot remember one instant when we sprayed again on our return home,

to be honest. Now my husband has had some really bad coughs, so much so at one point, one particular year it stopped us from flying. His lung capacity is very very poor. I am neutropenic. My immunity is very low. And yet, miraculously we both went through a whole winter untouched despite practically living in hospital. So that is why I am convinced it also acted as a great protector. Having said this, like I mentioned earlier, at the first sign of congestion, sneeze etc we both use it straight away. And it helps a lot.

• Posted

Hi Jonah, I am really interested in your Honey. My husband has really low lung function  and am dreading winter so anything that can help. Not sure how to message you? Not too Internet savvy!,!
  • Posted

Hi there, am also interested in the brand of honey. I have used Manuka Active plus 10 in the past, but have COPD and poor lung function so am interested in this honey. Hope you can help, regards, Val.
  • Posted

Hi Jonah,  I am really interested in your honey too.  Please email me if you can with the name.   Firm believer in the healing qualities of honey and applecider vinegar from Somerset.  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.