Sputum

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with Bronchiectasis a couple of months ago. But recently the phlegm I'm bringing up has grey strands in it. Does anybody have this ? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes lots of times - and sometimes little black bits. They don't seem to do any harm and I always wonder if they are caused by air pollution.

• Posted

Operalyn, if you live in an area where air pollution is a problem, that's a distinct possibility.

• Posted

I don't get it often now but every time I visit London I do!

• Posted

Hi!

I've had grey a few times.  It *usually* goes along with an upper respiratory or sinus infection, but you can also have it if your lungs are trying to expel pollutants, like smoke or dust. (I did work in newspaper distribution for a couple of years in the late 2000s, and sometimes, after a day of handling freshly printed newspapers, I'd sneeze out or cough up mucus that was grey or black. I was glad to get rid of that job.)

I'd suggest mentioning it to your doctor to see if there's some underlying infection or irritation that needs treatment.

• Posted

As other people have mentioned, it could be due to pollution. Usually, the darker the mucus, the more issues you have. My mucus gets dark when I have a sinus (drainage) or lung infection.  The mucus lightens up to a white or lite yellow when the infection clears.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.