Squamous Papilloma in throat (HPV?) -> Severe anxiety from throat cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 36 yo male. 2 months ago I noticed a small white growth (omg) in my throat and I went to 2 ENT's told me its a papilloma and I can choose to remove it or leave it be as treatment is not medically necessary.

I chose to remove it because I couldn't stop looking at it and the biopsy confirmed its a squamous papilloma most often associated with HPV.

Two days after having it surgically removed I went to a gynaecologist who orally tested me for HPV via PCR. I wanted to know if I had a low risk or high risk strain to see if I'm heading straight for cancer (HPV-16).

Unfortunately the test came back negative and I have no idea what to think. Does this mean the virus went dormant?

Is it going to "wake up" in 10 years and kill me with throat cancer?

I read online there is a steep climb of throat cancers and I fit the profile soon, white, between 40-55, none smoking, not drink.

I have severe anxiety and depression over this and worried sick I'm heading straight for cancer.

Is there something I can do besides pray that cancer doesn't strike me for my mistakes ? Any way to test or cure the virus?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have the same thing , did your biopsy show any HPV in your papilloma ?
    • Posted

I asked the doctor for them to check if it had HPV, he wrote it down on the biopsy note but they eventually didn't do it. (He didn't think it was necessary).

He told me its not an STD and not cancerous but I didn't believe him I guess from severe anxiety. I also saw another doctor that also said it is not HPV related.

Out of my mad anxiety research I saw research that many of those squamous papillomas aren't caused by HPV yet I force myself to think of my stupid oral behaviour. 

I'm trying to stick to that thought even though I read in many other places that if its HPV, its usually 6 or 11.

Reading online, it seems to be an epidemic and already surpassing cervical cancer in women (WHICH THEY CAN MONITOR AND TREAT before its cancer) while men cant.

If god forgives me one last time and it wont give me cancer, I will stay good and never have sex again.

• Posted

I went to a very reputable ENT and had a papilloma on my uvula removed she told me it's not an STD it's not contagious and doesn't believe it has to do with HPV I am waiting on the biopsy which will be ready the middle of next week and she said she would be   Surprised if it comes back with HPV she says she sees these all the time and not to worry about it plus your test came back negative which is awesome 

• Posted

Out of fear I went to one of the best ENT's in my country as well. He also said it is very common, but that didn't comfort me even when it says on the CDC website that 80% of the people get HPV.

I'm trying to stay positive and forget 2017 ever happened since it has been months already and it keeps coming back to me along with a bunch of weird symptoms I had in my throat during the time i discovered it (though I had Strep). Would be nice to have an update on your biopsy. 

• Posted

Thanks for your update. This info brought me great relief.

However, in wikipedia it says it caused by the virus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squamous_cell_papilloma

On the other hand, many other links say that in majority of cases its not HPV. All this confusion causing me more anxiety and I stopped any sexual contact of any kind including kissing.

• Posted

Hi there, 

I had the same thing!. I was so permoid, I had something on my uvula it was so tiny.  Doctor asked me if it was my choice to remove it or keep it, i wanted to get rid of it, doctor didn’t seem to think it was dangerous. My ent is one of the top doctors in Los angels and he is also an surgent.  He informed me this kind of  virus can even be catched in air! Not only sex! Even surgents catch it performing surgery to the patient breathing the same air! Like doing surgeries to the babies! Can you imagine? he also said it’s not contagious to me and my boyfriend We can continue having sex. I never had abnormal smear in my life, I even got hpv test with smear it was always normal. I didn’t have history of abnormal smear test, Hpv smear looks into dna of hpv. What I’m trying to tell you is, I’m the most paranoid person ever and I trust this doctor so so much.  If it was contagious he would remove it without asking my suggestion. He asked me if I got my  doctors degree  from google  search? we laughed he is right. They see sick people everyday, they wouldn’t bs you, hey I’m in a same situation as you. Calm down and take this vitiamine if it’s going to make you feel better AHCC kinoko platinum, it supports your immmune system And it helps to clear out hpvs I just order mine . 

• Posted

I had a mucocele on my inner lip and it has since been removed.  Ever since I had this in June I've been obsessing over potential  throat or mouth cancer.  The only way this would happen would be if I have HPV.  The reason I started freaking out was because I looked at the back of my throat during this time and saw red looking bumps.  I then started obsessing over my throat and looking at it constantly.  I've been married 15 years and my wife hasn't done anything besides kissing before that time with other guys. 

I've never kissed or done anything with anyone but my wife.  What's the likelyhood I have cancer or HPV?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.