SSRI's

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anybody on here have a hard time tolerating SSRI's? I have tried Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, and now Lexapro. All have given me diarrhea, headache, nausea and worst of all low libido. Yes, I stayed on them long enough to give them time to work(except for the Zoloft, it made me feel like I was dying). I was on Trazodone but felt it had stopped working, but I finished my bottle before I started on the Lexapro and felt fine. Slept well, and sex life is fine. I'm thinking about talking to my doctor about getting off all it except for the occasional Valium.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am on Lexapro 10mg. I don't feel it helps because I still get anxiety attacks. Tried getting off of it but got anxiety from how it made me feel. I want off of the SSRI. I get dizzy some times and I wonder if it's from the Lexapro. I feel your pain!

• Posted

I have tried several too and none have worked. I just started taking Paxil about 6 months ago and it works really well for me with no side effects.... except taking all of my anxiety away :-)
  • Posted

Hi hun, I hate SSRIs with a passion. They have left me with permanent damage and caused my late husband to commit suicide. They have really nasty side effects which the drs dont always warn about and they become addictive and are really hard to get off of. If I were you if your dr will give you diazepam and it works for you, take it. Yes it too can be addictive so make sure you are careful with them like I am. I take 2mg twice per day and extra if really stressed. But no way would I ever take an SSRI again. My new partner is on Sertraline which is an SSRI and dr wants him to cut down and come off due to no improvement in his depression and loads of side effects. So get shot if you can. Be safe and well hun XXX

• Posted

I agree with you Tina. SSRI's are very powerful drugs. I just found out by accident that Lexapro was orignally developed for people with bipolar disorder? Why would you give something like that to someone that is simply suffering from low mood during menopause? Most SSRI's were developed for people with serious mental illnesses, not for people suffering from mild to moderate depression. The side effects are horrendous. They tell you to hang on the drug is going to make you feel worse before you feel better. I was already having suicidal thoughts after two days.

I have gone back on my Trazodone. My doctor gave me some Valium, I'm seeing a therapist, going to the gym, and started taking vitamin D3. My therapist actually told me that Valium(diazepam) is the least addictive of the benzos.

I'm sorry about your late husband, SSRI's are dangerous, I can't believe the amount of people that take them. But I guess if you have PTSD, or bipolar disorder, or some other serious mental illness it may be the drug for you. But not me. Trazodone is a SNRI, very mild, the only side effect I had was a stuffy nose(my doctor told me)but it went away after a few days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.