SSRIs as treatment for CFS?! Also Acupuncture question

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I'm a 52 year old man in the UK and my symptoms are exhaustion - heavy legs, generally tired out, brain fog. My GP after running lots of blood tests thinks its CFS and has referred me to a rheumatologist at the hospital to confirm the diagnosis (I don't get to see him for another 2 weeks). On the UK scale, its probably "mild" with the odd day of "moderate".

When my GP first suggested it was probably CFS the first thing she wanted to do was put me on SSRIs! I am naturally resistant to the idea of anti depressants to be honest - especially when I'm not depressed. I've been told boosting serotonin levels can help with CFS and its not JUST for depression - but I can't actually find much online to support that. I went back to a different GP partner the other day as I'm still not well enough to work after 7 weeks and the first thing HE said was for me to think again about SSRIs... So does anyone have any experience of that and it helping? I really am not in any way depressed - I've done a bit of meditation and hypnotherapy over the last few weeks and generally I am feeling quite laid back and stress/anxiety free (my employer is currently very supportive) - although the brain fog making writing and concentration more difficult is a nuisance, I am adapting to the lack of any energy thing and coping ok.

Conversely, a friend suggested acupuncture - and I can find a few articles suggesting it has helped with CFS. I am actually going for my first session with an experience and well qualified acupuncturist tonight. Has anyone any experience of that? And has it helped? I do have a friend in Switzerland who says its helped her a lot.

Thanks in advance for anyone's shared experiences.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I do have a dog I walk everyday even though I struggle to walk a 100 meters,but he is 17 and walks slower than I do
    • Posted

Yes exercise just makes me worst,rest is the only thing that works for me,my problems started at 17 , I am 58 now
  • Posted

Watched a video on CFS today posted by Stanford University the doctor said that SSRIs are not work with patients suffering from CFS,The video is called The Biology of CFS,the doctor is a well respected expert on CFS
    • Posted

Is that the same video I started watching last night that you posted a thread about?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.