ST JOHNS WORT.

Posted , 6 users are following.

After trying several A/Ds that I had to stop owing to side effects...my GP told me today to take ST JOHNS WORT..anyone tried this, with success..I am afraid to try this,,but my gp is fed up with me, and made me feel so small today...I cried when I  got home...He told me it would not interact with my xanax..but its the first thing I seen when I looked it up...Can anyone advise please......

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That’s terrible.  I am so sorry.  I get all my meds through a psychiatrist.  I honestly don’t think GPs know how to treat difficult case of depression.  It took me 16 months of experimentation of medication with my psychiatrist to heal.  It is even difficult to find a decent psychiatrist.  I also recommend therapy, although not all therapists are created equal.  I went through 4 therapists before I found one who actually could help me.  {{{hugs and prayers}}}
    • Posted

my depression comes on after a long spell of anxiety, if my anxiety goes away for a few days, I dont be depressed atall...I really cant take a/ds, I have already went to a psychiatrist..explained that ssri a/ds are too stimulating for me..after an hour talking to him he proscribed sertraline...another ssri..so I lost faith in him and did not go back...I also did therapy, and hypnosis...nothing is helping, and I dont know who to turn to now...Thanks for taking the time to reply, it means so much.. xx
  • Posted

Hi I am sorry your GP treated you like this.  It is worth remembering that all ad's have side effects when you start them but unless they are unbearable it is better to persevere if you can coz it usually gets better. If you have tried several and stopped them because of the side effects I can understand your GP not knowing what else to offer.

St. John's Wort is a herbal medicine and might help with mild depression. If your doctor told you it would be safe to take with your other meds I wonder why you don't believe him?  If you are afraid to take any meds then you will just have to rely on counselling and the self help route.  x

• Posted

Hi hypercat...there are so many different brands of st johns wort..I was looking up to see what was the best...The first thing I saw was that it stops the xanax from working...so that is the reason I dont believe him..my anxiety is constant, to the point that I am afraid to go out alone..the xanax stops the panic attack...not entirely but enough for me to handle it...Thanks for your reply. x..
  • Posted

Please go to a psycharist and not a GP. They know so much more about this. There are good psycharist and rhode who are not so good. Get recommendations if you can. 
  • Posted

check the interaction list on the St Johns wort as well as the Zanacs to make sure it is a safe combination if it does not interact well then it could be a Dr"s mistake. You could get a second opinion from your pharmacist.

• Posted

Hi Mariano - alternative medicine can be as effective as any chemical doctors eagerly prescribe. I tried St John Wort some years ago. In days a rash had broken out across my torso, feeling internally like someone had attacked my organs with a baseball bat - couldn't even walk without discomfort. The reason? I have hay fever allergy. I stopped taking them and all discomfort etc disappeared. There are other holistic products that might help you Mariano - Lavender Oil and Camomile Tea are two more. 

If you are not happy with your doc then it would be wise to seek another. If the doc is dismissing you it might mean he has run out of (his) options. Another, fresh professional opinion and eyes on the matter may be just the different perspective you need to support you in your journey. Meanwhile try not to worry about what might happen. The process to managing our depression can be an exasperating, slow and complex experience. Hang in there - and We are ALWAYS here to talk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.