St Johns wort

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone tried St JW for menopause symptoms?

Any good?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I tried it several years back to see if it would help lift my moods, wish it had done something but after a few months with no results, I stopped taking it. Doesn't mean it may not work for you, everyone is different. Worth a try.

• Posted

Hi , I used a black cohosh & st John's worth combination from a high street health food store. But after a few months I had extreme pain on my abdomen and all sorts of problems. Ended up in A&E. I am not saying the pill caused it. But I stopped it immediately after reading the side effects inside the pill while I was wondering what has given me so much pain and I ended up in A&E first time in my life. I am.not sure if it is coincident but i feel better now. I feel one should be very careful using these so called herbal remedies. It may work for some and make others worse. I would suggest think twice even before taking any vitamins. All these have side effects if they are used when body does not really need it. I feel sad that we do not get enough support and advice from GPs that we end up trying all sort of things ourselves. Good luck everyone.

• Posted

Hi there,  I have never taken it, I have heard it helps with depression and anxiety.  What I did that really helped me, was talked to a natral practioner.  She ordered blood work on me to find that I was low in B12, iron, progestrone and estrogen....all these things can make moods wonky.  I started taking the vitamins and that helped get rid of some symptoms, after I got that on track I am now doing a progestrone cream 15 day in cycle and that helps as well.  I am getting acupunture done all these things have helped me.  I wish it was as simple as taking one thing, but in perimenopause and menopause there are more than one symptom it seems.  I agree you should not take vitamins if you are not low or defcient in them, and the only way you will know that is to get blood taken.
    • Posted

I absolutely agree. That's what I exactly meant to say to all ladies. If possible get professional or expert advise before taking anything. Having said that I am taking B complex, magnesium, omega since I feel helpless & hopeless with my GP.

• Posted

Yes, I took it, and it worked wonders on me to get back to work. It took away my palpitations and my anxiety. However, I only took it when I felt I needed it, not as an ongoing thing. I would take it for 2-3 days at a time until my symptoms would subside and no they didn't come back. It gave me energy and helped balance my focus such that I was able to go back to work. If you are on high blood pressure medicine you cannot take SJW. I was told by a nurse of DIM is good for balancing hormones, but I also tried Maca which is excellent for hot flushes. 

• Posted

Thank you for all your comments.  I'm struggling with feeling low at the moment and with low energy.  Apart from the menopause I am struggling with a stressful situtation in my life.  I don't know if the menopause is making me less able to cope with my stress or it's the stress that is making me less able to cope with menopause!

I did take STW many years ago for a short while and I think it did help then but my stomach is SO sensitive to everything.  Ive always had a delicate digestion so I'm so cautious about taking ANYTHING.  Maybe I will try just taking is as and when as you suggest Sochima.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.