St. Johns Wort for anxiety

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, I know that some ladies here take St. Johns Wort for anxiety issues and since I don't want to be on antidepressants for my anxiety I am thinking of trying it but not sure how to take it. Do you take it on a daily basis or just when the anxiety hits.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I would say it's on a daily Basis it's the only way you would get enough of it to be of benefit to you I have a friend that takes it and she's sags it really helps her

• Posted

Yes you should. The usual dose is 5-10ml a day if it is a tincture or just follow the instructions on the label of your purchase. You will start to feel the difference in a few weeks as such doses gently accumulate in your system and the body starts to regulate itself then. Feel free to ask me any questions as I am a practising medical herbalist.

I would suggest that you come of it after 3 months max and then decide if you want to go on to another natural remedy to support your body continuously.

• Posted

Hi just read ur post there and hope u dont mind if I ask u wht u wud recommend for low mood and tiredness apart from St John's wort.. I can't take it due to being on Bp tablets. I already take fish oil, vit b complex, vit d, also buckthorn. I see other ladies on this site take magnesium but unsure 8f I can take this with my bp tabs. I'm on ramapril 10mg also lercanidipine 10mg.

Thank u x

• Posted

Hi Ola thanks so much for the info....just wondering why only three months is it not safe to take this on an ongoing basis
    • Posted

The usual length of time herbal practitioners prescribe St John's Wort is 8 weeks. This is enough time for the herb's constituents & actvities to enable the regulation of the body's GABA receptors, 5-HT, interleuken-6 and Substance P. Over or under function lnked to them has depressive effects.

I don't know how you will be taking St John's Wort or in what format but if it is low dosage then the period can be extended to another month if necessary. 

In general it's shown to be effective when taken in the following dosage:

2 to 6 grams of dried herb tea x 3 daily

2 to 4ml of tincture x 3 daily

240 to 1800mg daily in capsule/tablets (with good concentrations of hypericin and hyperforin) for a minimum of 4-6weeks. If the latter is how you will be taking it then there's no harm in taking the herb for some months.

St John's wort is generally well tolerated. Some people experience tiredness, mild skin rash, lucidity (dreams, light) and see that as adverse effects. Herbalists' approach to health is not to keep people on medicine but support the body get itself back to balance unless the circumstances are chronic. Anything can become toxic to the body if it is no longer required but is allowed to accumulate.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

• Posted

thanks so much for this info I will most likely be taking the capsules smile

• Posted

My husband is Bipolar disorder 2.. He takes Depakin 500mg (twice a day) and Lamictal 100mg (twice a day). But about an year now he is having anxiety and panic attacks very frequently.. Doc recommend revotril 0.5mg but the effectiveness of it has reduced significantly.. So he was asked to take Cyprelex.. As I read, it is a nasty drug with many side effects..

So I am thinking of st.john wort.. Does this interact with mood stabilizers?? And will this help with his anxiety and panic disorders?

• Posted

Shift, St. John's wort should not be taken with mood stabilizer. For someone with bipolar disorder, finding the most effective bipolar medications is key for treating and preventing episodes of mania or depression. Of course, it's important to take them as prescribed. And it's also important to be aware of what else you are taking when you do. Taking bipolar medications with over-the-counter herbs and natural supplements may be dangerous. Some herbs and supplements can cause dangerous interactions with medications or make bipolar drugs less effective. In addition, these natural therapies may also sometimes cause more serious health problems, always consult with your doctor before taking anything herbal.

• Posted

Hi can u plzzz tell me if st johns wart will work for me ibwas on klodipin n i didnt know the dangers of it plzzz let me know ill go today to get it i need help
    • Posted

Jennifer, as long as you're not taking any blood pressure medication or any type of mood stabilizer, you can certainly try St. John's Wort.

• Posted

I hope it works for you. I don't know where you live, but you have to be very careful with this one if you get a lot of sun. Sunlight naturally hightens our mood and is good for our bones, so you need to weigh up the benefits.

• Posted

Hi Alison I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia we have nice sunny summers but the rest of the year we get a lot of overcast and rainy days...I try and get out in the sun as much as possible and definately feel the positive effects from it.
    • Posted

You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world. Enjoy. I hope you can find a balance
  • Posted

I took St. John's wort for a while off and on, I would say take it until you start to feel better. Once you start to feel better take it only when you feel a symptom coming on. This is how I took it and it eventually worked to level off my hormones and where I have had to rarely take it again. It stopped the anxiety and heart palps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.