St Jude Neurostim - considerations

Posted , 3 users are following.

I looked at both St Jude and Medtronic.  My doctor convinced me the St Jude modalities would be better, and that it was MRI compatible.  Their version of MRI compatibility is to bury specs in the fine print, such that virtually no facility will do an MRI on me, and I usually need one to two a year.

The reps are hit-and-miss.  My current "rep" I won't let touch me again, as last time she reprogrammed, the battery felt like it was burning me.  This is the second time she's reprogrammed and I've had an issue.  At least I had the sense to ask her to program a burst modulation (you can have multiple types of modulations) which will wear out the battery faster, but seems to give better relief.  The tragedy is that the burst is the Medtronic form of modulation (I have no association with either company; I was in banking).  I have also been told by the reps that your body will acclimate to the stim setting, so you should plan on needing to change it periodically.

I am a fairly small, slim person.  The wires can be felt in my back and they keep bruising.  Because I don't have a lot of padding behind smile, I had the battery put in my abdomen.  It burns and hurts regularly - especially if I wear pants that hit in the wrong place.

I had spoken with a Medtronic patient prior to implant, so I knew that some amount of pain meds would probably still be needed, which is the case.  I've had some amount of relief, but not sure it offsets the pain and aggravation from the implant.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No spinal cord stimulator is MRI compatable . I have my stimulator above my left buttocks and I’m in pain 24/7 with it. Good luck.
  • Posted

I had a St. Jude’s put in in 2015 and mine has an MRI mode. I had a MRI done since but I just turned it off completely instead of using that mode. 

On the other hand, I wish I had never had it put in and would definitely have it removed if I could. I don’t know if my insurance would cover it, and, I physically and mentally don’t think I could go thru another surgery. 

• Posted

I have an MRI mode.  I've had three out of four MRI centers turn me down, because the specs on the device require a modification to the settings on the MRI machine, but instead of saying online (where the techs go to validate they can do the MRI with your device) that ___ modification needs to be made, it says not to do an MRI on that body part.  St. Jude's even acknowledges that.  They told me to have the techs call the support number for the correct settings.  But that makes the techs leery when the documentation online they would use for backup in the event of an issue says, "don't do this."  My pain management group worked with one MRI center in my city which is willing to do MRI's on me and other St. Jude's patients, so I'm obviously not the only person with this issue.

• Posted

Sorry all for my comment!!! I was just told to never get a MRI
    • Posted

No apology necessary!  I created this post because of the misinformation on the part of St. Judes.  Even my doctor didn't know that "MRI compatible" did not mean you put it in MRI mode and it's that simple or the lack of support by reps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.