Stabbing chest pain which has developed into aching pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

This started about 6 months ago, a sharp shooting pain in the left side of my chest. These pains didn’t worry me as it only happened twice and lasted approximately 20 mins. About 3 weeks ago I experienced the same pain but with a lingering effect in my chest, a pain that didn’t go away, not a sharp stabbing pain but an ache. This gradually got better in 4 days but on the 5th day the ‘process’ repeated itself. Now I feel a small pain in my chest which comes and goes and now has given me a stiff neck and back. These symptoms seem to calm down when I’m at work and I’m not thinking about the pain, but I still feel it’s in there, as if it is reminding me. There are no known triggers for this ache and pain, it’s just random. Sometimes it does start when I bend down to put socks on etc but other than that no real trigger. I am a 17 year old male, and I’m worried that this isn’t a muscular pain or pulled muscle as it would hurt all the time right? It wouldn’t just come and go? I’m worried that it’s a serious desiese but the symptoms when searched don’t point out any diagnosis. I’ve been to the docs, no actual scan on heart or x Ray as I only went to my gp who has booked an appointment for me and checked my blood pressure & heart rate which all seem fine, no real tests though such as a blood test or ecg scan or ultrasound. I hope this isn’t a chronic or serious desiese and that it will just pass. Thanks in advance for replies. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zack, this sounds quite similar to what I’m experiencing. I’ve been getting the pains on/off for around 3 years now. The pain is a sharp stabbing pain in the left side over my heart. I’ve been to the GP numerous amounts of times because of it but still no further forward. I’ve had ECG & chest X-ray and all cane back as normal. Same as you it’s not triggered by anything it’s random. I seem to have spells of it that last up to around a month and I will have the pains everyday. It gets me down and effects my life a lot of I’m constantly worrying about it and that something is seriously wrong. Mine can sometimes be when I bend down as well but not always. So frustrating!!

• Posted

Have you looked up costochrindis/tiezes syndrome? It's all so so with muscles on chest and ribcage the pain can be reproduced if you press the affected area x 

• Posted

Hi Emma, yeah one dr did say she thinks it’s tiezes but I don’t have any tenderness so I’m not sure.

Aw I hope your op sorts that out for you! Sounds horrible 😩 xx

• Posted

Katie I too get that pain when I bend down sometimes :-( it takes your breath away doesn't it.   I've been suffering from nasty chest tightness again all week I have a chronic sinus infection which has now meant I'm in for an operation this year as ct scan showed sinus are all blocked 😥 So scared x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.